March 5, 2018

Organizational Skills



My computer opens with a ‘lock screen’ which can be personalized. For February, my picture was hands folded in prayer with a short New Testament verse: “Pray without ceasing” to prompt me to do just that. For March, I’m considering a change, either “Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established” (Proverbs 16:3) or “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” (Proverbs 16:9)

They both say essentially the same thing, yet also relate to the prayer reminder. I ought to talk to God continually regarding my plans for the day. I ought to be in His will and to have His help and blessing on all that I do.

Today’s devotional is a salvation message. Tozer describes how spiritual life is the root of moral practice, and moral practice brings change in community organization. To make this personal, my relationship with God affects how I live and how I organize my life. The last part is a surprise and yet not really. I’ve noticed that messiness in my home almost always reflects messiness in my soul. The more scattered my mind, the more scattered my stuff. The closer I am to God, the clearer and cleaner my desk.

This must begin with a strong spiritual life. A relationship with God must be single-minded — no other gods. I need to be fully aware of what I have in Christ, no wavering into thinking ‘I must do it myself’ because everything I am and do rests on His saving work. Also, I must be filled with the Holy Spirit for anything valuable to flow out of me. I get this from these verses:

And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. (John 5:24)

Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified. (John 7:38–39)

Then, because Jesus lives in me my moral life is changing. Temptations may come, but His holiness affects how I respond. I’m not wrapped up in feeding or satisfying my own desires. This is as Tozer says —the life of Christ changes how I live. It also affects daily decisions, from how I interact with others to what occupies my mind and time.

The third area is organization. This is the one that concerns me right now. Too much of my space is marked by the traits of that old nature. Instead, I want it to reflect the grace of God and the simplicity of the Gospel. Christianity is a supernatural belief with “the indwelling of the living God in human life.” How can I reflect that in the way I organize my home and my life? How can I be more like God in the simple things, like hospitality, answering the phone, sending texts and email, even in meal preparation, home furnishings, and the organization of my stuff? How can I be more like Him in the organization of my day?

As my ‘lock screen’ has been reminding me, I need to pray without ceasing. However, I also need to commit everything to Him so that all those plans will be established and will glorify Him.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord, this will seem an odd request, but I’m asking it anyway. Help me know and do Your will in the matter of organizing my days and my home. Fill me with Your Spirit so what I do and how I do it is as creative and refreshing as You are. I want to glorify You in all I do, even when most of it will not be seen by anyone else but You.

No comments: