December 30, 2014

He will clean out the crud


It is Tuesday. We are in Flagstaff, Arizona. Last night we phoned eleven hotels before we found one with a room left, their last room. We are in a suite so picked up a can of soup at a convenience store and heated it for a late supper. There is no dishcloth, no towel racks, and we have either heat, air conditioning, or off. The table is too high and the chairs are too low.

Both of us were tired and I was irritated. We drove too far yesterday. We plan to stay here two days but it is supposed to blizzard so it might be wise to get out of the mountains and into the desert. Still, our suite is brand new and this location is beautiful.

I tried to be thankful and not crabby. Trusting God for a safe journey worked out. Trusting that we would find a place to sleep worked out. After answered prayer for these and other things, I asked my hubby how he liked being married to God’s spoiled brat! But the trouble with grace and blessings, is that when the Lord isn’t pampering me, I find out how easily I take Him for granted.

So now I read this: Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.” (1 John 3:2–3)

This is a rebuke of sorts, and a blessed promise. One day I will see Jesus and be like Him. That is an incredible expectation and fills me with joy. He will do it and I will forever be with Him. But, right now I am not like Him – did He get crabby and irritated with such minor things? I’m certain He did not. Did He take the Father’s care for granted? I’m certain He didn’t do that either.

So here I sit like a pouting brat who should be spanked. I don’t think He will do that either, but He does expect something of me -- because I hope in Him, I am to purify myself as He is pure. That means getting rid of, or at least saying no to, the grumpiness and irritation when things are not as comfortable as I want them to be. I am thankful for this place, for the stalwart man I’m married to, and for so much more. There really isn’t anything to grouse about, except that I’m still such a child – when I should be more mature.

A bit after the above verses, I read this and again am both rebuked and blessed: No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.” (1 John 3:9)

God put His Son Jesus Christ into my life; He abides in me! Because that is true, then I cannot continue forever being a self-centered brat. The new life of God eventually will crowd out the old life of me. How exciting! I look forward to the day when sin is gone and I no longer act so childish.

The rebuke is simple . . .  why is it taking me so long to stop pushing against the inevitable and just cooperate?

No comments: