December 8, 2014

One way to store up treasure


Last night we talked with our granddaughter about situations where someone needs medical attention and bystanders often freeze up or back away. I recalled a situation where our son encountered someone having a seizure. After he helped the person, he told us he was amazed because, “I just knew what to do.”

At that, our granddaughter said the same thing. She told of taking first aid courses for her job and thinking she’d forgotten everything, but when the need came up, “I just knew what to do.”

Today’s devotional is about forming good habits, storing good things in my mind so that when issues come up, or temptations, or others are in trouble, that good treasure put in is available and I will “know just what to do.”

Essentially, this is what Jesus said to the Pharisees who were trying to accuse Him of working for the devil when He cast demons out of people. They were so jealous of His power that they were not thinking straight.

Jesus responded, “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” (Matthew 12:33–37)

If I take this to heart and put in good treasure, then the next time someone is sick, or tells me of a tragedy in their lives, or brings bad news, or is in some kind of trouble, then I will know what to do and what to say.

This means putting good things in my heart and mind so when needed, they will come out. The good things are the truths of God and the attitudes of Jesus Christ. By reading His Word and paying attention to how He treated people, I am storing up treasure. If I learn His ways of comforting others, or how to speak when someone is hurting, or where to direct them when they are in trouble, then if a day comes when that is needed, I will know what to say and what to do.

However, if I don’t store up good treasure, then when difficult situations come up, I might panic and run, or  nervously laugh and back off, or throw my hands in the air and look for someone else who knows just what to do, winding up being useless because I didn’t bother to fill my mind with good treasure.  



No comments: