May 8, 2013

The Lord is my Strong Tower


When I get to heaven, there are many people I anticipate meeting and telling them how much I have appreciated their ministry here on earth. One of them is Charles Spurgeon. His language and writing belong to another era, but his love for the Lord and his attitude of worship have blessed me. I want to thank him for being an encourager who urges me to press on and to keep trusting the Lord.

Spurgeon’s words for today are based on the this command to trust God, even when all is dark. Most of my thoughts are a paraphrase of what he says, for all I can say is, “Amen!”

Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the voice of his servant? Let him who walks in darkness and has no light trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God. (Isaiah 50:10)

I understand that “trust in the name of the Lord” means relying on the revealed character of God. When I cannot see my way, then I can open the Bible and take a fresh look at what sort of God I am trusting. I can recall what He did in the past, and be refreshed by His promises for today. I can see His infinite love in the gift of His dear Son and my Savior, Jesus Christ.

The name of the Lord also means God the Son, for it is in Jesus Christ that Jehovah God has proclaimed His name. When it is dark around me, even within me, I can go to my Savior, and think of Him. I can remember His suffering and His sacrifice for my sin. I can remember His death and hear His cries. I can recall the flowing of His blood and gain comfort, even joy that will turn my darkness into day, not that His agony is comforting, but I am blessed because His suffering became triumph and His death became life everlasting.

The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe. (Proverbs 18:10)

I am also blessed when I think about the name of the Lord and remember that it signifies what God has shown me of Himself in my past experience. He created a memorial for me, memories that are a great encouragement whenever I am in a dark place, or struggling with some sin or challenge. He has helped me over and over in years gone by. I have been able to say, “What deliverance… I will never doubt him again!” Yet such a stupid one am I — forgetting that in every dark time I will doubt Him again!

But why? Jehovah God is with me. I do not need to fear. I can rely on God. I can lean on Him and let Him be my support. He made a covenant with me. He promises to never leave me or forsake me. I can be foolish, confused, uncertain, doubting, questioning, even rebellious, and He never lets go of my hand. I can fully trust in Him even in the darkness because He has never, and will never, let me down.

He has caused his wondrous works to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and merciful. He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever. He has shown his people the power of his works, in giving them the inheritance of the nations. The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy; they are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness. He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever. Holy and awesome is his name! (Psalm 111:4–9)

No comments: