March 31, 2013

Putting on my Sunday best…


Today is Easter Sunday. Jesus is risen!

We are getting ready for church and I’m thinking about the ‘old days’ when Easter Sunday meant trotting out in your best and newest clothes. For women, this ‘Easter parade’ was a competitive time of being the best dressed and if not that, at least adorned with all things new.

Times have changed, thankfully. Most churches (at least the ones I’ve attended) stress casual. The emphasis is on being there, not being a fashion model, not even on Easter Sunday. Today’s devotional verses are for those who still might be concerned about that, but are more for those concerned about simply having clothes.

And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? (Matthew 6:28–30)

This blog is called “Practical Faith” for a reason. God has shown me that trusting Him is about all of life, all my needs, every detail, including clothes. However, it is also about an eternal perspective. Much of what concerns humanity who live on this tiny planet in a vast universe will not last very long. Our lives are short and the things that can become a preoccupation will eventually wind up in the trash.

This is why we are not to be anxious about a lot of things. In fact, a verse that follows the passage above says,

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (Matthew 6:33)

This means if I keep my priorities right, God will take care of the temporary needs. Today, my focus is on worship and on being the wife, mother, and mother-in-law that pleases God and does good for my family. He considers righteousness a vital quest. What I wear to church isn’t nearly so important!

No comments: