March 22, 2013

As a child talking to my Father…


It’s been said that it isn’t what you know but who you know. As ethically debatable as that might be, the saying is true in prayer. In fact, the Bible even tells me not to pray in my own name, but in the name of Jesus. His access to God gives me access to God, and because I can come to the Father in the name of the Son, He offers great promises concerning my requests.
Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. (John 16:23)

Today’s devotional verse is the same one used in the past few days. It shows how Jesus appeals to the Father using the Name which He has been given.

And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. (John 17:11)

It seems this gives me instruction to pray in a similar way. “Lord God, I am Your child. By the saving power of Jesus Christ, I have been placed in Your family and I come to You as Your child, asking that You…”

Today’s devotional writer rightly says that I am not heard either for my much speaking or even excellent speaking. It is Christ’s pleading in heaven that makes my pleading on earth effective. That is,

The Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. (Romans 8:26)

At the same time, the intercession of the Holy Spirit sometimes spills over into my heart and suggests prayers that I otherwise would not have imagined. Sometimes the contents that come out of my mouth surprise me because I didn’t know or even think that I should pray that way. Sometimes my emotions surprise me or my reasonings that form the basis for my requests, for they were not in my mind when I began to pray.

Jesus and the Holy Spirit are master communicators. When I pray, I might fumble and not know what to say or how to say it, but this is not important. Coming to God as His child and in the name of Jesus is important though, even on those days when my only hope is that He gave me an interpreter because I’m not sure what I’m praying about.

 ******************

NOTE: If anyone logs on to read in the morning or during the day, and Saturday's post is not here, no worries. I get on an early flight tomorrow and am not sure if I can post until evening. Keep trying! 


No comments: