October 30, 2011

Nature? Nurture? Choices?

Psychologists and the wise of this world debate whether nature or nurture has the most influence on the outcome of a person’s life. Christians know that both have influence, but would put ‘choices’ above either one. Why else do children in the same family differ, even to extremes? Each grew up with similar genetic makeup and environment, yet one may become a drunk and the other a doctor.

However, when it comes to spiritual matters, a fourth option enters the equation. Nature is dismissed. The Bible is clear, by nature, no one in interested in God or in serving and praising Him. Romans 3:10–12 says, “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” Because we have a sin nature, we turn from God and are not able to choose anything but our own way, including how we wish to think about Him.

Nurture, or the environment in which we grew up, can vary but I’ve known godly parents whose children serve the Lord and godly parents whose children are like the above verses. We can do our very best, yet must remember God was a perfect Father to Adam and Eve and they still fell into sin.

When I think of that third option, choices, verses come to mind like “Choose this day whom you will serve” yet almost all that speak of my choices are in the Old Testament. The New Testament offers dozens more that put choice strictly into the hands of God. Because by nature I would not choose Him, and because by nurture my options are iffy at best, God turned my destiny around by choosing me. 

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. (1 Corinthians 1:26–29)
Of all the references to God’s choice that changed my destiny, I am drawn to this one. It does nothing for my ego and everything for my joy. No reason here to pat myself on the back, but plenty of reason to praise God.

Spurgeon’s devotional today is about praise. He writes of its value to our spiritual lives, yet when I read this verse, I noticed one word, “will.”

I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. (Psalm 9:1–2)
This word, used four times, shows that praise is a choice. However, It does not flow from my old nature for that dead and wretched thing does not understand or seek God. If does not come from my nurture either, for praise to God was a rare commodity in our home while growing up. Even if I could choose based on an example set by my parents, my nature would not allow it. For praise to happen, to be a choice on my part, God had to change me. That process began when He put me in Christ Jesus. Because of that . . . 
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
Regardless of what is happening in my life, and even regardless on my emotional state on any given day, the fact of being a new creation does not go away. Because of what God has done in me, I have the capacity to praise Him. I can praise Him for the good things, and the not so good. I can praise Him when I feel like it, but even when under the pressure of negative feelings. This and other choices are possible because He put me in Christ and Christ in me. I have a new nature. He also nurtures my heart with truth from His Word, renewing my mind, changing how I think and choose. Because of Jesus, I can choose to obey and to praise God. 


********
Father, You are worthy of all praise. Imperfect as it is, I offer it to You. Yet even in praising You, I also marvel — for when I praise You, You give back to me. As I lift You up, You lift my burdens. You increase my faith and stir up hope in me. I am recharged to serve You. Not only that, when I praise You, others are blessed. The humble hear and are glad. Weak hearts are strengthened and those who struggle are encouraged. We praise you together and you bless us because of it. Your Word even says that You inhabit the praises of Your people! Praise draws us nearer to You and in Your presence there is great joy.

I’m thankful for Jesus. Because of Him, I can magnify You and because of Him, all praise becomes songs of deliverance for me and for Your people. Praise Your holy name!

No comments: