July 7, 2010

To Live is Christ — listening before speaking

I’m reading a novel in which the protagonist is deeply annoyed by what she calls “God talk.” Those who speak to her about God seem sincere, but her heart is hard concerning anything spiritual.

I first heard that expression after a class I taught on biblical self-esteem. One young woman who attended spoke often of the way God was working in her life. I found it pleasing, yet another, trying to remember her name, said, “You know, the one with all the God talk.”

Talking about God could hardly be put on a list of sins, yet I know it can be off-putting if the hearer isn’t open to God, or if the speaker has a personal agenda. These extremes come to mind today as I read these verses.

And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. (Deuteronomy 6:6–7, NLT)
Obviously, God wants His people to speak about Him and His commands, particularly to our children. However, the Ephesians 6:4 says, “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Constant repetition can be exasperating for many children. I’m not sure about Hebrew families, but I can hear today’s child saying, “I know, Dad. You said that a few minutes ago, Dad,” then plugging in their I-pod and tuning dad out. How can a parent, or anyone else for that matter, talk about God continually without being exasperating?

My first thought is that some people will be annoyed regarding God no matter what is said or how often. They are not interested in spiritual matters. For them, every word spoken must be governed by the Holy Spirit. But even that does not guarantee I will be heard or my words given a positive reception. For one thing, whatever I say is subject to interpretation. My intentions can be misread and my words misunderstood.

Being misunderstood is difficult for me. When I add the fear of a negative reception, it becomes very easy to just be quiet and not say anything at all. However, that is disobedience to a God who commands me to tell others about Him. David had this problem and wrote about his struggle with trying to be silent. 

I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence. But when I was silent and still, not even saying anything good, my anguish increased. My heart grew hot within me, and as I meditated, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue. (Psalm 39:1–3)
I’m to speak and say what God wants me to say. There are two words used in Scripture regarding the “word” God speaks. The most common one is logos, meaning “a word uttered by a living voice, embodying a conception or an idea.” Jesus is the “logos” of God and the Bible is described with the same word.

The other word is “rhema” which means something spoken with a definite meaning, particularly for the need of the hearer. It is the word used in, “Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4) and in, “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Romans 10:17).

From this I see the difference between annoying “God talk” and talking of God that makes a difference. The former is mere talk for talk’s sake, or using religious words to impress or manipulate others. In contrast, the latter is using Spirit-led speech intended to meet the needs of the hearer, to help them and give them whatever God wants them to hear. Since I cannot know what that “need of the moment” might be, speaking this requires me to be filled with the Holy Spirit and sensitive to His leading.

This is such a challenge. All I can do is ask God . . . Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. (Psalm 19:14)

No comments: