August 5, 2009

Stress-busting

Another writer took a stress test and the result was double the score of 300+ that says you are overdoing it. I figure I’m not stressed, but took a similar test just to be sure. My score was less than 50.

These tests are not conclusive. Other tests might give different numbers, but this person wondered about a cure for stress so this question has been on my mind. If I had to point to only one thing, for me it is finally realizing that I do not earn the favor of God.

I know this is true for salvation. Eternal life is a gift. The Bible is clear that God gives it apart from anything people do, good or bad. He calls me to obey Him and in discovering that I could not do it, I had no other hope but His mercy.
For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:3-7)
Today’s devotional reading says that anyone who enters the narrow gate of salvation must do it by themselves. Just like going through a turnstile (see yesterday’s post), only one person at a time, with no baggage, can pass through that narrow gate. We enter His kingdom singly, not in groups, and cannot ride in on the coattails of church, family, or friends.

This narrow gate will not allow me to carry in my sin and self-will, but it cannot accommodate my good deeds either. I know that now, and I knew it when Jesus came into my life. He created a new heart in me, and at that same instant, I believed in Him alone for salvation. The stress came later.

Even though I am saved by mercy and not my own works of righteousness, the idea of trying to please God by good works is a difficult concept to balance. Yes, God is pleased when I obey Him, but even that obedience is from Christ who lives in me, not from me, at least not from me alone or apart from Him. The apostle Paul put it this way,
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain. (Galatians 2:20-21)
My old nature, or the old me was put to death (separated from God), but Christ lives in me and gives me new life. Unfortunately, that old nature still tries to run things, and this is where stress comes in.

However, Jesus came to give me abundant life. He also came to lighten my load. His invitation is found in Matthew 11:28-30 . . .
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
In this passage, the first burden, “heavy laden” is the full load of freight, which I tend to carry. The second “burden” that Jesus says is His burden, uses the Greek word for the invoice! In other words, Jesus does not offer me a load that is more than I can carry. Instead, He asks that I take His yoke and learn from Him, and find out what I should be carrying.

All my life I’ve taken on too much. As I grow older, I cannot handle so much. Sadly, I couldn’t while I was younger either, but with more energy then, I didn’t realize it. Over the past few years, God has shown me that when I take on more than He asks, I’m often trying to look good in His eyes, which is totally unnecessary. My worth is not in “works of righteousness” but in Him. All that extra stuff only creates stress for me, also totally unnecessary.

Seeing this truth for salvation is vital, but seeing it for Christian living is no less vital. The Galatians slipped from grace by trying to please God with good deeds, but it doesn’t work that way. For me, trying this was entirely stressful and actually did not please the Lord at all.

Still, I sometimes say “yes” when I should pray first and find out if what has been asked fits His will for me. Moving ahead of God produces stress every time. Praying first, even if He says yes, reduces stress, and knowing that I am in the will of God is a huge stress-buster.

Another thought creeps in. What about all those stress-producing circumstances outside of my control? God gave me the answer to that early in my Christian life. He showed me that Romans 8:28-29 promise that He will use all things for my good, to transform me into the likeness of His Son. He has totally convinced me of that reality. No matter what happens, seeing trials and challenges as opportunities to grow, even if they are totally unpleasant, reduces stress.

The Gospel is good news. It is good news for sinners in need of salvation, but it is also good news for saints who get caught in the trap of a driven sort of busyness, particularly one that becomes an effort to be super-spiritual. I cannot please or impress God or anyone else when I’m overburdened and heavy laden. The cure is taking on only that which Christ wants from me, no less, but certainly no more. His yoke is easy, His burden is light.

No comments: