April 7, 2006

False guilt has some value

“For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: ‘I dwell in the high and holy place, with him who has a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.’” (Isaiah 57:15 NKJV).

Because God is Spirit He is not impressed by beautiful temples, sacrifices, incense, even glorious music. Superficial lives and outward pretense do not please Him either. Rather, He is pleased by humility and a broken and contrite heart.

Today I feel those vague accusations that Satan often hurls at me — “You are GUILTY” — and while this is totally unlike the conviction of the Holy Spirit, it still makes me aware that I’m among those who fall short of the glory of God.

True conviction from God is always specific. He makes clear what I am doing wrong and what I need to confess. False guilt is different. It gives me a general sense of failure, of not quite measuring up. Yesterday someone hinted I had failed her. She was not specific, nor did she offer forgiveness. She wanted to say that she was taking responsibility for how she reacted rather than blaming me for whatever I did. Nevertheless, it produced in me first a great sorrow, then a deep sense of needing to own whatever I may have done.

I cannot fight even false accusations, never mind those veiled in vague terms that might be true. Instead, I bring them to the Lord. If a broken-heart pleases Him, then I am okay with that. It isn’t much fun though. Sometimes I say to Him, “if this is Your will, then I accept it. If not, take away this heaviness and replace it with Your joy.”

I don’t want the joy of having no cares, because I do care about damage from my sin. However, God can mercifully give me the joy of knowing that He forgives me. He also can grant that joy that knows even this is just another one of those “all things” that He can use for good in my life. The hard part is waiting for the good.

No comments: