October 27, 2017

Pay attention . . .



People who live with an ocean or mountain view, or who see spectacular sunsets every night can become so accustomed to their surroundings that they no longer appreciate or even notice them. We lived in Alaska for a year and in the evening the sky was often colorful, even jaw-dropping. The most impressive one that I remember was in Soldatna. We came out of the grocery store and looked up to a mackerel or buttermilk sky, clouds from horizon to horizon, all in shades of bright red. Amazing! However, as I looked around in the parking lot, people came and went without pause and without looking up at the spectacular sky.

“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:8–10)

This morning, I read this familiar passage and remembered that experience in Alaska. Can Ephesians 2:8-10 ever become so familiar that I would skip over it? It happens. I can read Scripture or at least run my eyes over it and be thinking about something else, like plans for the day, or a telephone conversation. I know what the words say, which is one thing, but rambling through without thinking about them is like hearing someone speak, smiling and nodding, but shutting them out and not really paying attention. But this is God speaking. I should be ashamed of myself.

And this is why good works will not save anyone. All that comes from the human heart is flawed. I love the Lord and am thankful for all that He has done for me, but like that sunset in Soldatna, my sinful heart can take the beauty of the Lord for granted and become preoccupied with ordinary stuff, like my plans and thoughts.

However, I am quick to immerse my mind in the ways of the Lord when trouble comes. I want relief and grace to overcome my fears and whatever is troubling my heart. Like the psalmist, I am ready to acknowledge His Word and promises and follow through with praise, even the praises like these:

“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?” (Psalm 56:3–4)
“In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?” (Psalm 56:10–11)
“I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!” (Psalm 57:9–11)

As for those verses in Ephesians, just because I’ve memorized them and believe them with all my heart does not mean that God has stopped using them to speak to me. I still need to pay attention and listen, reading every Word as if I’ve never seen them before.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You are the living Word of God. I cannot imagine walking on past You because I’m so used to Your presence that I don’t notice You! Forgive me for skipping through the familiar passages of Your love-letter to me. May I always let them sink into my heart, thrill my heart, and bring praise to my lips giving glory to You.

No comments: