October 14, 2017

Illumination comes from the Holy Spirit . . .



Today’s devotional reading logs in as a pro-hyper-Calvinism vs. Arminianism, a debate that has gone on for centuries. Theologians cannot agree even though supporters on each side think their view is the correct view. I prefer to read devotionally rather than gnaw away at an issue that divides and look for something God wants me to understand and apply to my life.

For this, the last five verses in the reading did just that. While there are differing ways to interpret these words, in their context they speak to our human problem of not wanting to listen to God and the eventual judgment on those who persist in exalting themselves instead of the Lord:

“At that time Jesus declared, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’” (Matthew 11:25–30)

God calls those who understand them “little children” and I’m thinking why does He do that? Is it because little children know how to live in carefree dependence? When loved and cared for by parents who are wise and kind, these little ones are not burdened by anything too weighty for them. They know not to pick up something too heavy or stress over things beyond their understanding. For them, life is mostly play.

For many, we ‘out-grow’ childhood and begin to question things, gripe about life’s perplexities and discomforts, and are never satisfied. We get suborn about change and refuse to go back to the that child-like faith that carries very light burdens.

This is a choice. To take the yoke with Jesus means trusting Him as I would trust a loving parent. As a child, I never worried about anything. I’m to live in Christ the same way. He knows all the answers and takes care of everything. I don’t have to know or carry more than I can handle. He carries all the burdens that are too heavy for me. Also, He can reveal or not reveal; I don’t have to try to figure out the tough stuff with my tiny brain. If it is for me to know, He will show me.

Not only that, I’ve learned that when God reveals a truth, I do not need to ‘prove it’ to others, or debate it, or argue my point. I used to think I could convince others by rhetoric, but know better, mostly because God has shown me that my arguments are usually evidence that my source of whatever point I’m trying to make does not come from the Spirit of God, but from my flawed human reasoning. When God says something, I don’t have to prove it, just quietly believe it and obey what He wants me to do.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You always declared truth without getting into any “I touched you last” debates. You knew what was from Your Father. That was enough for You. You lived like a child depending on his parents and carried only the burdens You were given. In that frame of mind, You could deal with everything that came at You, including the challenges of the Pharisees, who by the way, never could get the best of You. You not only gave them wise and simple answers to their ‘difficult’ questions, but also realized there is no point in debating or that insisting other people have the same knowledge that You have. It comes through the illumination of the Holy Spirit, and because that is what they needed, You joyfully didn’t bother with any debates.

No comments: