April 27, 2012

Today’s Challenge

This morning I look outside with dismay. I’ve an important appointment at 9 a.m. and it is snowing! Wet snow, big flakes, slippery roads. I want to stay home with a cup of hot tea and do something else. 
 
God challenges my attitude and my fears. He knows that I must go and gives me opportunity to trust Him in the going. How did He know that these verses would be suitable for this snowy day?
He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? (Matthew 25:24–26)
I know, this is not about the challenge of driving when I don’t want to. It is about obedience and using what God has given me to do what He asks me to do. But the attitude of the servant is the same as my attitude — fear of not being able to do a thing, or fear of not being able to do it properly. So instead of giving it my best, I am tempted to procrastinate or not do it at all. 

It is too late to call a taxi. My friends are just as leery of driving in a storm as I am. However, there is a positive in this. I’ve learned that if I start, even with fear and trepidation, and ask the Lord to help and protect me, somehow the hard stuff can be done. Afterwards, it might even look easy and I wondered why I was so hesitant. 

Most of the fear comes from listening to the Liar who says things like, “God really does not want the best for you” or “This is too trivial to even ask for help.” When I say these doubting notions aloud, I see how silly they are. Of course God wants the best for me, and of course, nothing is too small or too difficult for Him. 

Today’s comments on these verses is short. The devotional writer says, “Between the great things we cannot do and the small things we will not do, the danger is that we shall do nothing.”


Lord, You know that I cannot miss this appointment. You also know that every time I resist the difficulties instead of facing them in Your strength, I miss finding out how much You care about everything that happens in my life. It might seem like a small thing to some, but the older I get, the more I resist driving at night or in storms. However, because You love me I will trust You for whatever I need to overcome whatever You place in my path, even wet snow and slippery streets. I will leave early, drive slowly, and trust You with this challenge.

No comments: