October 25, 2011

Double-mindedness and Prayer

In a Bible study called “Walk of Repentance” there is a section on prayer. This morning I studied verses about why some prayer goes unanswered. One of them is takes me to a passage in James that exhorts readers to ask for wisdom. That encouragement also comes with a warning . . . 
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. (James 1:5–8)
The last part of this passage describes the times I’ve asked God to direct me, received an answer, then waffled on it. Was this really what God wants? Am I certain this is the right thing? Those doubts flip me back and forth until I lose the sense that God spoke in the first place. This double-mindedness even puts me in danger of not hearing Him again. After all, He’s already told me what He wanted and I didn’t hang on to that. What more can He do?

Faith does not waffle back and forth. Instead, It is sure and ‘knows' what God says. With faith, there is a confidence that He has not only hears prayer, but that He will answer, keeping all promises made in that regard.

Presumption is the human substitute for this assurance. Faith is based on God’s Word and promises, but presumption is based on a strong I-want. While I might have strong desires when faith is present, but faith comes with an odd sense of “this is so impossible that I cannot understand why I believe it.” Presumption never has that mixture of awe. Instead, it is almost a cheeky arrogance, assuming rather than believing.

God teaches me that asking in faith is about denying both doubt (will He?) and presumption (I know He will!). Faith is beyond what I think or want. It is grounded in God’s Word and promises, and might even fly in the face of those I-wants. It also has an assurance that I cannot conjure up, even an element of “I know” that does not make sense.

I’ve also learned that if this assurance is absent, I could be causing that absence. Yet when I recognize faith is missing, I cannot make it happen. The Bible says that faith comes by hearing the Word of God. I can read it, but hearing it isn’t quite like the normal understanding of hearing. I can listen to a sermon or read the Bible, but not ‘hear’ it because God is not speaking to me through it (or I am not listening).

Hearing involves active communication. One of the Greek words used for the “Word” of God is ‘rhema' which means God is speaking to our individual needs of the moment. This is what makes the Bible a living book. God uses it to touch me, to make His care for me a reality. If this is what James is talking about, then my double-mindedness is about waffling even after God has given me a particular and pointed promise. When I do that, I lose any assurance I might have had from that promise and lose His ear when I pray.

The idea of knowing truth without waffling back and forth is very important in prayer and in all of Christian living. Spurgeon uses these verses to describe it . . . 

The elder to the elect lady and her children, whom I love in truth, and not only I, but also all who know the truth, because of the truth that abides in us and will be with us forever... (2 John 1–2)
The Bible says that truth from God and known by His people, is an abiding truth; it stays with us forever. That is, once God’s truth enters the Christian’s heart and subdues us to itself, no power can dislodge it. It is not a guest but becomes the master of the house. Truth is the anchor for the way we live.

Spurgeon affirms that this is a Christian necessity. True believers believe in the life-giving power of the gospel. We know the wonder of the Holy Spirit as He opens, applies and seals the Word of God to us. Thousands have chosen to be torn to pieces rather than deny this truth. We have great assurance that this truth will be with us for ever. It is our living support, our dying comfort, our rising song, our eternal glory!

As Spurgeon says, the truth that we are sinners is painfully with us to humble and make us watchful. The truth of our salvation through faith in Jesus Christ abides with us also as our hope and joy. We learn to walk by faith in what God says, rather than by sight that can be contrary and deceptive. As we walk with Jesus, our experiences affirm and guide us, joining us more firmly to the promises of God.

But, and for me this is very important, when those truths are presented and I waffle between what God says and what my eyes see, that sense of truth becomes shaken, like the waves of the sea that are tossed and driven by the wind. Instead of a firm sense that God will do what He has promised, I’m left with doubt that He even hears me (or an arrogant hope that He will do whatever I want Him to do). Answered prayer requires faith, knowing the will of God and grabbing hold of what He says. 

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. (1 John 5:14–15)
********
Father, I am thinking of some prayers that never seem to be answered because I waffle between Your promises and what I see. I confess my double-mindedness and ask Your forgiveness. Help me to believe what You promise and always to pray in Your will. Grant me that assurance of “knowing” my prayers are on the right track, and the ability to persevere — until that day that Your promises are fulfilled.

No comments: