July 12, 2011

Sanctification

The Christian faith uses some long words. One of them is sanctification. While it sounds complex, the meaning is fairly simple. It means “set apart.” In most cases, this is about being set apart by God or for God, and to be used for His holy purposes.

The vessels in the Old Testament temple were sanctified. They were not allowed in common use. That place of worship was also sanctified or set apart in the hearts of the people. It was a place of worship, not a place to buy T-shirts or casually visit with friends.

In the New Testament, sanctification becomes personal. Instead of objects and places, we who believe in Him are set apart. For this, Jesus prayed toward the end of His life here: 

They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I sanctify myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. (John 17:16–19)
These verses indicate that truth is the sanctifying agent. That is, the more I am exposed to the Word of God, the more this “set apart” condition will happen to me. Of course, I’m not worried that Jesus’ prayer will be unanswered. The process of sanctification is already happening.

This long word is an important part of Christian living. While truth from the Word of God is used, all of God is involved in the process. The following verses show how sanctification is also about all of me, about all Christians everywhere, and about what it produces in each of us who are sanctified.

Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonians 5:23)
To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 1:2–3)
(To those who are elect . . .)  according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you. (1 Peter 1:2)
********************
Oh Lord God, how incredible is Your grace that desires to make me holy and blameless, totally devoted to You in my entire being. Thank You for including me in the vast number of those who call upon Your name. Thank You that this calling and sanctification produce obedience, but also grace and peace, even multiplied grace and peace in my heart. You made me a “lover of words” so that I enjoy word puzzles, word meanings, reading and study. Yet even more exciting is that this word makes me also a lover of God! Because of sanctification, I deeply enjoy You and the unveiling mystery of Who You are and what You are doing.

No comments: