July 3, 2011

Lean cows and laziness

Sometimes I’m not sure that the Lord is convicting me or I am just beating myself up. Spurgeon’s reading for today is having that effect. It is about zeal and laziness, and how easily a Christian can slide backwards. An unusual verse prompts his thoughts. 
And the ugly, thin cows ate up the seven attractive, plump cows. And Pharaoh awoke. (Genesis 41:4)
This comes from the days when Joseph was in prison in Egypt. He’d interpreted dreams for other prisoners so when the Pharaoh had this dream, Joseph was summoned. He told Pharaoh that it meant a famine would come and the nation needed to prepare for it.

However, this verse spoke to Spurgeon about a different kind of famine — the leanness of spiritual decline — and the way it made him feel. As I read his words, I realized that God is speaking to me too. I know about ugly, thin cows, only I must write about them in my own words.

Pharaoh’s dream has often been my daytime nightmare. As I look at how much time I waste, I can picture it like a hungry animal that gobbles up all that I accomplished in those hours of zealous hard work. The times of cool indifference numb the warm glow of fervent enthusiasm. Fits of worldliness throw me away from those amazing advances that God makes in my spiritual life.

Is God pleased with those times of lean prayers and praises, of lean effort to my duties? I don’t think so. It feels to me as if they eat up the joy and peace gained from serving Him wholeheartedly. It seems that when I neglect prayer for even a short time, my spiritual life dwindles for a long time. If I do not draw fresh supplies from heaven, everything stored up in my heart is quickly consumed by a famine that overtakes my spirit. I know about lean cows.

Attitudes like indifference, worldliness and self-indulgence strip my life of spiritual fruit and I become anxious because I’m feeling dead and useless. As Spurgeon asks, would I more quickly reach the high calling of being like Jesus if I only journeyed toward it without backsliding into selfishness and losing all that I’d gained? Is this slow progress His plan? Or my fault?

The only way to fatten cows is to feed them in green pastures beside still waters. I need to spend time with the Lord in His service and in His presence. I need to worship Him and do His will. Every hour, day, week, and year could be richer in love, usefulness and joy. I could be closer and have more experience of my Lord, and be more like Him if I were not so easily sidetracked and distracted by this curse of lean cows, otherwise known as leanness of soul.

*****************
At times, Jesus, You bid me come and find rest for my soul. At times I am told to withdraw from activity and regain my strength. But this is not the same as sloughing off, or being lazy and indifferent to my responsibilities. One is refreshing; the other is debilitating. Keep me alert that I might recognize those lean cows that will eat up the progress You have produced in my spiritual growth. Help me rest when I need to rest, and be zealous when I need to press on. As Your child, I need Your help with knowing the difference.
(Clipart credit)

No comments: