July 6, 2011

Don’t worry about beauty — wisdom is more important!

This week I chuckled at a poster that said, “Beauty fades, but stupidity lasts forever.”

This first challenges the value system of external beauty. Enormous amounts of time, energy and money are devoted to products that are supposed to remove or cover spots and wrinkles and make people look young and lovely. The cosmetic and beauty products industry makes billions off of those who are anxious about beauty that fades.

This poster brought to mind a couple of verses from the Bible that reveal God isn’t big on external beauty. He has a more lasting value system.

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. (Proverbs 31:30)
Do not let your adorning be external — the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear — but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. (1 Peter 3:3–4)
God wants me to fear and obey Him. He also wants me to have a gentle and quiet spirit. None of these will fade but in fact become stronger as I mature in my walk with Him.

The “stupid lasts forever” part of that poster also brings to mind Bible verses that contrast wisdom and foolishness. I suppose that the poster is talking about IQ, but the Word of God does not condemn a low IQ. In fact, in regard to salvation, it says . . . 

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. (1 Corinthians 1:26–29)
God doesn’t care about IQ because the gospel can be understood by anyone when He reveals it to them. However, He does value wisdom. Wisdom is not about what I know or how much, but what I do with what I know. God will not hold me accountable for my IQ but for my obedience to what He reveals to me.

In contrast, foolishness is about ignoring what I know (or more importantly, what God has revealed to me) and turning away from it without paying any attention to it. If this is the “stupidity” mentioned on the poster, then the consequences are for this life and forever, just as the poster says. 

For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them; but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster. (Proverbs 1:32–33)
The warning here is to pay attention to God. He promises that no matter what comes our way, God’s people are safe. If I listen to Him, I can live without fear. The world may shake and the skies may unleash furies, yet I am as secure in danger as I am resting before Him in devotion and worship.

How can I feel so secure? Everyone dies, and some die violently, but death is not the biggest threat because of this: if God does not save me from disaster under heaven, He will save me in heaven. If the world becomes too unsafe to hold me, then heaven will be my place of safety. I’m not to fear death, but be very wary of turning from God. Lack of faith is far worse than any disaster that could happen to me.

On the other hand, because of faith in Jesus Christ, I can be confident. I need not fear illness, robbery, tornados, wars, or any other disasters. I am under the broad protection of Almighty God. He says that as long as I listen to Him, I can live “at ease, without dread of disaster.”

***************
Lord, when others are worried about this or that happening to them, I am delighted that You have an alternative to such fear. You promise that Your people who heed Your Word do not need to live in fear. In You, and because of Your promises, I am secure. I can rest in Your faithfulness and defy the blackest threats. Even if bad things happen, You are in control of what happens to me! My only responsibility is show and tell: show the blessedness of listening to You and tell others that they can do the same.

No comments: