July 7, 2011

All noble things are difficult

Every now and then certain temptations roar at me. Escape seems impossible, even though God promises escape. Today’s struggle came like a roaring lion and in myself, I have no power to resist. In confusion and desperation, I reach for my armor. My defense is the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God. I know that a fitting word from the Lord Jesus tames all lions. Today is no exception.
Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. (Matthew 7:13–14)
Oswald Chambers says it well. “If we are going to live as disciples of Jesus, we have to remember that all noble things are difficult.” I’ve known that. Rarely do good things happen easily. From raising children to painting a masterpiece, the best requires great effort. So it is with resisting sin.

As Chambers also says, the Christian life is gloriously difficult, but the difficulty of it is not intended to make me cave in and give up but rise up and overcome. I appreciate the salvation of Jesus Christ and the grace of God. “I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.”

Salvation is free. Then God works in me “to will and to do His good pleasure” . . . yet I must “work out” that salvation in practical living. He tells me how to live and I must obey what He tells me. As I do, my spiritual muscles become stronger. Those things that I caved in on early in my walk with Jesus are no longer the same threat.

Except today. To overcome this roaring lion, God reminds me that the practice of obedience will give me victory. Winning this battle depends on remembering those lessons of the past. I know the results of giving in to that “roaring lion” who wants to devour me. I also know the blessing of resisting Satan’s lies. I cannot do it alone, but if I “yield to God” then I can “resist Satan.”

The yielding comes first. Sometimes it means simply saying no to whatever is tempting me. Sometimes it means running to God “for grace to help in time of need.” Today I ran, and today He reminds me that all noble things are difficult. That is a fancy way of saying, “Get your act together. Did you think this would be easy?”

************
God, I thank You that you do give me difficult things to do and difficult challenges to my obedience. Your salvation is a joyful blessing, but as Chambers says, it is also a heroic and holy thing. You test me for all I am worth. Jesus is bringing many “sons into glory,” and You will not shield me from the requirements of being like Jesus. Your grace intends to give me a strong family likeness to Jesus Christ, not let me remain a selfish sissy. You have shown me that I need a tremendous amount of discipline to live a noble life, even within the walls of my own home. Thank You.

1 comment:

Beautiful Mess said...

I have been away for a while...but you are still one of my FAVORITES!

Thank you for the time you spend! Thank you for giving yourself away!