July 24, 2010

To Live is Christ — sitting

A follower of Christ wrote a book based on Ephesians. Its title is, “Sit, Walk, Stand” because he noted that this is the order of things for those who believe in and follow Jesus Christ.

The “sit” part refers to my position in Christ. As it suggests, I am at rest. I have ceased from my own labor to earn my salvation and am resting in the grace of God and in the wonder that He sent His Son to die for my sins and give me eternal life. This life is free to all who ask, all who are willing to simply sit, resting in Jesus and trusting Him.

Another aspect of this position in Christ is that I am entirely united with Christ. He told His disciples that where He is, they were there with Him. Since He is in heaven seated at the right hand of His Father, I am seated there also. 

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 2:4–7)
This is not fancy talk or figurative. It is expressed in the present tense. That is, in the mind of the God whose existence is not bound by place and time, I am seated with Jesus right now. To Him who does not use a Timex or a Rolex, this is so certain and so real that He says I am already there. Sitting.

Sometimes I picture myself on a park bench leaning against the shoulder of Jesus, either telling Him my troubles or just enjoying His presence. I have a hammock built like a sling. When I sit in it, I can easily picture myself held in the hand of God. How I love to sit with Jesus.

The book says that walking comes after sitting. I agree. I cannot move forward in Christian service or any activities until I draw from Him the direction He wants me to take, even the destination. Certainly sitting is part of how He gives me strength and all details needed for my journey. Sit first then walk. However, I’ve learned that the attitude of sitting or resting in Christ is also part of the walking. One flows into the other.

After walking, Ephesians talks about standing. It refers to being firmly in place in my faith. I know what my life stands for, and am alert against all obstacles. I am also ready to hear His voice. Will He bid me to walk again, or to sit? Again, no matter the actions, that attitude of resting in Him permeates me as I stand.

If I sat all the time literally, I would become spiritually stagnant. As a stream needs outlet as well as input, I need to put to use and give motion to whatever He gives me on that park bench. However, when I am not walking or standing, He bids me over and over to simply come, renew my strength and sit with Him.


Photo credit

No comments: