September 8, 2009

Just ducky

In a rerun of NCIS, “Ducky” the medical examiner is angry because one of his peers made the wrong call. A man had been murdered but the other doctor missed it and the body wound up as a “donation” to science. He stormed to the other doctor’s office only to find out that the doctor was not only overloaded with work, but also a woman, and a very pretty one besides. His demeanor softened, his heart melted, and the planned chewing-out did not happen.

Ducky’s change of heart amused me, yet it popped to mind this morning as something like God’s compassion when I miss the target. After struggling all weekend and failing many times to have a godly attitude, I expected a chewing-out this morning. Instead, this is what the Word of God says to me —
Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-23)
Last week listening to the radio, I heard a pastor say that each day is like a new start. We tend to beat ourselves up for our failures, yet God is not into that. He sees my follies and knows my weaknesses; I am a sinful human being. Yet instead of focusing on that, in great mercy and compassion He looks at me and sees Jesus Christ. He hears the confessions in my heart and His demeanor softens. The expected chewing-out does not happen.

My devotional guide reminds me that the goodness of God’s faithfulness to believers is apparent, because even when we are unfaithful to Him, He remains faithful to us. The fact is, if I could save myself, I would. But then I would not know the marvel of such mercy, such undeserved grace and kindness.

Micah knew it too. He said, “Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity and passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He does not retain His anger forever, because He delights in mercy” (Micah 7:18).

Scripture invites me to bring my needy self to Him. The psalmist penned these hopeful words from God, “He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him” (Psalm 91:15).

Today, I had not yet called, but He is still with me. His deliverance is not a swift boot (in my mind appropriate), but a gentle mercy, a kindness and my reaction to it shows me how much better God knows me than I know myself. When He looked at me today, I thought He would have correction in mind. Yet (similar to Ducky), He saw something else. Instead of sinful me, He saw the blood of His Son and heard His intercession on my behalf. Because of Jesus, God meets me with mercy, kindness, and compassion.

There are other similarities between this and the NCIS story, but the main one is that the person who made the error was forgiven. The difference is that she didn’t realize she had made a mistake so her gratitude at not being chewed-out was minimal. On the other hand, I am well aware that I have not behaved as I should, and this response from God simply melts my heart.

No comments: