September 14, 2009

I thought that I loved God . . .

“If you love me, you would . . . ” How would I fill in the blanks? Maybe I would say, “If you love me, you would care about the things I care about” or “You would listen to what I say” or “You would pay attention to my needs.”

What would God say? How does He ask me to express my love for Him? Jesus told His disciples, “If you love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15), but I know that I can do that out of duty, or to impress others, not necessarily because I love God.

Paul wrote a lengthy description of love in 1 Corinthians 13, mostly saying what love is not. Part of that passage says,

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)
I try to apply that to loving God and most of it seems more suitable to loving people, not that this excludes God, but do I need to be told not to be envious of Him? Or rude toward Him? Or to think no evil of Him?

My devotional reading offers another passage about loving God. At first glance, it seems to apply more to loving people. I also notice that these verses put more emphasis on intellect and integrity than emotions. 

And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9-11)
The love described here is based on what I know about God. It is discerning and perceptive rather than grounded in feelings or enthusiasm. It is sincere and never has to pretend, but also flows out of a non-offensive life. That is, if I love God, I will be obeying Him, but the last part of the passage shows that this is more than duty or obligation.

The obedience that Jesus calls for in John 14:15 is one that flows out of a life that is filled with the Holy Spirit. When I am filled with Him (instead of myself), then what I do will be characterized by His fruit: “love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23)

Because none of these things come from me but from Jesus Christ, they glorify God. That means that love for God will demonstrate far more concern for His glory than my own interests. What He is and what He wants should be at the center of the way I think, what I talk about, and how I live.

I started out writing this thinking that I love God, but as I put down the last few words, I realize that I fall short often and in many ways. I have some confessing to do.

No comments: