August 8, 2009

The view from the inside


On the outside, rural homes in Scotland
and many in the cities look like this photograph. Obviously many are not this old, but the shape, stone structure and a chimney on each end are typical. However, if I didn’t know it already, these homes teach me to never judge by the exterior.

On the inside, many of these rustic looking buildings are modern with every convenience. We stayed in one with contemporary decor, large rooms, and a Jacuzzi tub right out of the most recent catalog. Others are more like their old stone exterior with appliances and fixtures at least seventy-five years old and big chips in the walls.

The difference between the outside and the inside reminds me of the kingdom of God. From an outside view, I had a totally different impression than I do now. Back then, it appeared confining, rigid and not very practical or appealing. From the outside I could not see how delighted I would be if I went inside, nor how much God would change my life once He brought me through the door.

Jesus knew all this. When He walked this earth, He tried to explain His kingdom in parables, but even His disciples couldn’t see it because they were on the outside. For this reason, His message remained relatively simple. He invited them to come inside using these words:
Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” (Mark 1:14-15)
Those who heard Him struggled with this invitation. Maybe they tripped over the same things that bothered me. For instance, I didn’t have a clue about repentance. Jesus might as well have told a bird to be a Cocker Spaniel or a mouse to be a mountain as to say that I must repent and believe. I had no interest in doing that, and even when I became more interested, this command made no sense to me. Had He said, “Stop doing bad things and start doing good things” I would have understood, but even then, I knew that I could not do it. Leopards do not change their spots and sinners cannot stop sinning, at least without a major intervention.

Jesus intervened. He who called Himself the Way and the Door took me inside, turning me from sin to God. In here, I can see more clearly. I know now that repentance and believing are something I could not do myself. Jesus did something to me; He changed the way that I think about sin. What I once loved and chased after, I now hate and try to avoid.

Further, what I once could not understand much less believe or put my faith in, I now believe with all my heart and stake my life on it. Most important, I also know that these things happened after Jesus came into my life and gave me faith and a new heart. I could not do it, but He could.

I also realize that Jesus was telling religious people what kingdom life was like. His statement was a command about entering, but it was even more a description of the inside: kingdom people have repented and believed the gospel. From that description did they know where there stood spiritually? Did they know they had not yet entered?

Now that I am in the kingdom, I understand that no matter what religion a person belongs to, or what good deeds that they might do, without repentance and faith in Jesus Christ they are still on the outside. Out there, sin blinded my minds to spiritual realities making it impossible to have a true perspective of His kingdom or kingdom life, but on the inside is an amazing privilege. Spiritual sight is a gift from God. It looks so different in here.

Christ’s invitation still stands. The kingdom is near for He is never far away. He continues to seek and to save anyone who needs to repent and believe.

No comments: