May 21, 2009

A Pattern for Leadership

Most would define leadership as the function or ability of standing out in front and getting followers to do what they do or at least do what they tell them to do. It is associated with setting goals and reaching them, getting people on board to do the work and supervising that work.

Lately I’ve been studying this topic in the Bible. Scripture’s definition of leadership is not quite like that. Instead, it is not about the leader being followed but the challenge of serving others so that they can better follow Jesus Christ.

My devotional reading today is about the lack of good leadership in the modern church. At the end, the author says that “the church is sick and distorted because we’ve lost sight of Christ, His Word, and the Spirit. . . . and tolerated a lower standard for leadership than the Bible allows. The essence of Christianity is becoming more like Christ. . . .”

When a person is growing in Christlikeness, they are also growing in works of service. Their relationships improve. They share the Word of God and reach out to the needy. A Christlike person cares about the needs of others.

Perhaps the church has always struggled with a shortage of godly leaders. While Paul may have used some hyperbole here, he did write,
But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state. For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 2:19-21)
Paul discipled Timothy well, yet this younger man had a good start. His mother and grandmother taught him the Scriptures when he was just a child. He knew what God required and had a heart for following the Lord Jesus. He was sometimes timid and needed encouragement from Paul. Nevertheless, Timothy loved others more than himself and cared about their needs more than his own.

I’ve been disappointed at the scarcity of godly mentors. Those who have had faith longer than I have are not always mature in their faith. In this me-first culture, the church suffers from the same disease. Paul’s description of Timothy will ring in my ears today, instructing me as a good mentor might, telling me to stop being so concerned about me, my and mine, and sincerely care for others, seeking the things of Jesus Christ while I’m at it.

Thank You Lord for giving us Paul and Timothy who are both clear patterns for the rest of us to follow.

1 comment:

Margo in Maine said...

Enjoyed reading your post today...some good thoughts.....thanks...Maine