May 31, 2009

No more fatigue

This morning I’m thinking that a physical transformation, perhaps a new body, would be a good thing. I’m swacked. We had a graduation Thursday night (3000 people, a big one), went to a conference Friday and Saturday where I spoke both days (one long and one short), then a wedding after the conference that lasted much longer than we dared to stay.

I know, some people work the same hours, or battle illness, or go through calamities on a weekend, so this was mild compared to those things, but my body is still tired and my mind is more than a tad fuzzy from fatigue.

So I open my Bible and this is where I’ve been directed, a verse that tells me that my transformation is coming.
(Christ) will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself. (Philippians 3:21)
When Jesus was on earth, He lived in a very human body. He ate, drank, worked and became tired. On at least one occasion, He was sleeping in a boat during a storm that was so violent that His disciples were afraid they would perish. To sleep during that upheaval means Jesus’ body was exhausted.

After He rose from the dead, Jesus stayed in a human body. That is amazing. He showed the disciples the wounds in His side and hands, and ate with them. However, I’m certain that His new body didn’t require sleep and fatigue was no longer an issue.

This verse is actually more about His power to change my body. The entire universe is under His sovereign control so He definitely has the power to raise me up and make my body like His. As Creator and Sustainer, as God in human flesh, Jesus created natural laws and miraculously overruled them. He made water so it can be steam, liquid or a solid, yet He also demonstrated His power to walk on the liquid form, even enable Peter do the same thing.

Jesus also has the power to give life and to take it, and the power to conquer the entire universe. Paul wrote, “Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet” (1 Corinthians 15:24-25).

Jesus will recapture the whole works, those who are saved and those who are His enemies, and give it all back to God. Wow! That same power is what He will use to transform my body to be like His. Some days I’m feeling really good, but this morning is one of those times when I’m thinking how nice it will be when I don’t have to fight with fatigue. Because of Jesus, I can look forward to heaven and say goodbye to waking up and feeling as if I had not slept all night.

No comments: