June 11, 2008

A super-sized challenge . . .


God uses metaphors to describe spiritual realities that are not visible. A metaphor is a figure of speech that says something is something else. For instance, the church is the body of Christ of which He is the head. This gives readers a picture of how the people of God are an extension of the Son and under His leadership.

Besides the human body as metaphor, God uses architectural terms to describe how He builds the church. In this case, He wants readers to have a picture of the fact that He lives inside His people. Ephesians 2:19-22 is a good example:
Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.
In the last part of this passage, the word “dwelling” connotes a permanent home. That is, God the Holy Spirit takes up permanent residence in His sanctuary on earth, the church. Since this is true, Scripture continual exhorts us to act like it. God lives in us and His presence makes a difference in everything that we do.

While most of the time the word “you” is plural, it is also true that this metaphor applies to individual believers. We put our faith in Christ on our own, not in groups. Therefore, each believer is a temple of the Holy Spirit. That means that by His Spirit God lives in me.

This makes a difference in how I live, or it certainly ought to. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.

I’m to be careful not to defile my body; it is a place where the Holy Spirit lives. I’m to be careful not to defile my eyes by greedily looking after things, nor my ears by listening to worldly and carnal conversation, nor my lips by speaking guile, or indulging in silly or foolish speech, nor my hands by using them for anything that is evil, nor my feet by going places and doing things that are vain and useless.

A few weeks ago I decided that this also means that I need to watch what I stuff into the mouth of this temple. Does my eating honor and glorify the One who lives in me? Remembering who lives in me is easy when it comes to turning off an X-rated television show, or saying no to activities that belong to darkness and folly, but remembering Him when I open the refrigerator door or have a snack attack is much more difficult.

Sadly, many Christians seem to think their eating habits have nothing to do with serving God, but 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 has this to say: “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Paul knew that if he let his body run his life, he was in danger of ruining his ministry. This issue can include many things, but certainly covers overeating. It is mostly about who is in control. When it is me, I indulge; when it is God, He goes for moderation. The One who lives in me wants me to be healthy, physically and spiritually. My part is to discipline my body so that He rules me totally, body, soul and spirit.

Today’s world has most restaurants overfilling each plate and super-sizing each order. Eating at home means doing the opposite. While it sounds easy, for me self-discipline and moderation are super-sized challenges!

No comments: