June 7, 2008

Preparation for death

The Lord put on my heart to teach an unusual topic in my Sunday Bible class. It is on how Jesus Christ prepared to die.

We started last week by studying and discussing how Jesus finished all that God wanted Him to do (John 17:3). In other words, He would leave this world with no regrets, no “I wish I had . . .” statements. Knowing human nature and knowing my own history, there are few people who can do that. Jesus listened to and obeyed God, and that was part of being ready for the end of his life.

He also prepared His disciples for His departure. He said that He would leave and in John 13:34-35, He told them what to do after He was gone: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

Obviously Jesus wanted His disciples to demonstrate the reality of His unique impact on their lives. How can this be practical for me since I am often oblivious to how God uses me? In trying to answer that question, the class imagined someone on their death bed with family gathered around. That person tells their family how to live so has to bring honor to him after he departs. Then we took it one step farther and agreed that we need to do this before the end of our lives. Preparing for death means making a positive and godly impact on others while we are still alive.

Jesus also addressed the fears of His disciples. He told them that He was going, even that Peter would deny Him before that happened (John 13). I can imagine their distress. They had given up everything to follow Him and be with Him. They had seen Him heal the sick and raise the dead. He loved them and they loved Him. How could He leave them so soon?

Jesus knew their fears. In John 14, He begins by saying, “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.

The skeptic would say, “How is believing in God going to help me with anything, never mind fear?” The disciples were not skeptics but they knew what faith in God meant. They also knew that trusting God changed their lives.

My devotional reading brings out several results of truly believing in God. These include pardon from sin; peace in your heart; knowing that God has accepted you; being able to call Him Abba, Father; having the Spirit bear witness with your spirit that you are His child; finding Him always near to help when you are in trouble; answers to prayer, a walk in the light of His countenance; His love shed abroad in your heart; knowing you are reconciled to Him; and a total awareness of His goodness and mercy.

To that I would add: a new ability to resist and conquer sin; becoming part of the Body of Christ, His family; understanding spiritual mysteries; and experiencing sweet personal communion with Him through His Spirit.

This believing in God through Jesus Christ is not the same as merely believing about God from seeing nature and knowing He is the Creator of all things. It goes beyond what is realized through providence in His daily care concerning this life, and even beyond knowing that He is the God of all grace and Savior of the world.

The faith that saves means actually experiencing God in all of life. It is this kind of faith that Jesus exhorted His disciples to have and embrace. It is this kind of faith that would erase their fears and bring them total comfort.

As I think about what I just wrote, I’m so blessed to know Him, to believe in God and also in Jesus Christ that I nearly lost my train of thought. Jesus is preparing His disciples for His death. To follow Him, I must also tell others who fear, whatever kind of fear it is, to believe in God and in His Son. This is not an “I hope so” faith, but one that knows God. It is in knowing Him in a deep and personal way through faith in His Son that opens my eyes to the reality of His goodness and power.

What do I have to fear? As Paul said in Romans 8:31-35,
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
Of course the answer is "Nothing!"

Jesus was going to die and He wanted to help those fearful souls who would be left behind. Since I am also terminal, preparing to leave this earth means doing the same thing. I also must tell others the way to have an untroubled heart. Along with Paul and anyone who believes in the Father and the Son, I can say, “Believe in God and in Jesus Christ for nothing can separate you from His life, love and eternal protection . . . not even fear!”

No comments: