June 18, 2008

No more sorrow

Her emotions are like that of a woman caught in PMS at its worst. She is joyful one day and in deep sorrow the next. As in PMS, when she is down, she cannot remember ever being happy. When reminded of it, she says she was only pretending. Medical doctors have no explanation. Psychologists cannot seem to help her. Whatever else she needs this young woman needs Jesus.

I have been praying for her for a long time. Any spiritual help has been shunned. She hates being emotional bankrupt, but does not want to trust in God whose existence makes no sense to her.

Yesterday I asked the Lord what He wants me to do. Hugs and concern only go so far. Is there anything I can say or do? His still, small voice said that I must “stand still” and while that response emphasizes my helplessness, it also reveals that He has a plan for her.

Today I asked the Lord what will happen in her life. Her search for a way out of her sorrow is not working and this emotional roller coaster has a huge impact on everything she tried to do. My reading for today is God’s answer to my question. Again, He offers a surprise and incredible hope, this time from Jeremiah 31:12-13. It says:
They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the Lord—the grain, the new wine and the oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more. Then maidens will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.
What can I say after that? God is able to bring anyone out of the clutches of physical and spiritual bondage. He is able to turn mourning into gladness, sorrow into comfort and joy. Nothing is too difficult for God.

The hardest part for me is watching the struggle and waiting for Him to change her life. However, He has told me that while I should be here for her, I must leave her problems in His hands. He knows what to do.

This is a test for me too, but God knows that the faith He has given me can pass this test. Therefore, as I wait for Him to teach her to trust Him, I am to do the same—and trust Him myself.

1 comment:

K.C. said...

This post was very powerful. It is so hard to watch someone who is hurting. Especially when you just know what the answer is.

It is also so hard to be hurting and just not know how to get out, especially when you can't put your hands on the answer.

I think it is such a noble and wonderful thing that you are doing. Even writing about her and putting so much energy into her. Now, there is another person, right here, who is praying for her as well...

Kayce