June 26, 2008

A new mind . . .

Sometimes Christians speak of heaven in terms of what a verse in 1 Corinthians 2 says. It goes like this, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.

Today I read that verse again and realized that even though the principle is true (we can’t know what heaven is like while we are still here), in context this verse is not talking about heaven at all. Instead, it’s about the inability of natural humans to grasp the wisdom of God. Here are verses 7-10 which put light into this “eye has not seen” concept.

We speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written: “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.
God hides His wisdom from sinful man, yet it is knowable. In the Bible, the word mystery is always about a secret that has been revealed, and in this case, the mystery is the glory of sending Christ to die for our sins.

These verses say that if those who crucified Christ had known what His death would accomplish—atonement, redemption, forgiveness for sinners—they would not have killed Him. While that might seem like a good thing, it would have run contrary to the plan of God, a plan that He ordained in ages past. Sinful men, including those who crucified Jesus, always want to run contrary to the plan of God.

This passage also says that ordinary people do not have a clue about what God can do for them. They cannot see it neither is it something that is in their heart. While some figure that human beings “made up” the gospel, these words say this is impossible. We don’t have the capacity for it; the entire idea of God sending His Son to die for us is beyond our sensibilities. We can’t see it, hear it, or imagine it. Only God can reveal it to us, and this Scripture says that this is what He does. In fact, verses 14-16 describe our problem of “no eye can see” and His solution.
But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
When a person is given new life in Christ, we actually have Him too, His life and His mind. The Bible says it in many ways, but no matter the terminology used, a saved sinner is transformed because Jesus comes to live in his or her heart. When that happens, Jesus brings His mind with Him, and it is by His mind that we know those wonders that are otherwise hidden.

The new mind, the mind of Christ, is supposed to be fed and nurtured. Romans 12:2 says that I am “not to be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of (my) mind, that (I) may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” I do this by reading God’s words, thinking God’s thoughts, and doing God’s will. As I cooperate with Him, His mind begins to do the thinking for me. This is what Romans 12:2 means by renewing it, allowing it to be transformed.

In contrast, if I fill my mind with junk from books, television, and the neighborhood gossip, and if I never read my Bible or do what it says, I will have trouble understanding the will of God and will not like it if I do. I might have the mind of Christ, but I cannot push it in a closet and never use it.

Having His mind is an awesome thing that I never could have invented. It is one of those “eyes have not seen” realities that did not enter my head at all, not until Jesus came into my heart and began revealing to me His mysteries. This is simply and utterly astounding!

Yet there is conflict too, like the times my mind wants to do one thing and His, through the power of the Holy Spirit, is telling me to do something quite different. I can renew this mind of Christ by reading the Word of God, but reading is useless unless I obey what I read.

Note: This gives me much to think about (and do) in what will be a busy day. We are in Victoria, BC and as soon as I finished writing this, the Tall Ships came into the harbor just a few blocks from our Bed & Breakfast. I couldn’t post it until bedtime. We had a great day, walked for miles, and met some nice people. The ships are wonderful.

No comments: