January 20, 2008

My Mother

My devotional book, God is Enough (edited from writings by Hannah Whitall Smith, Ballantine Books), first compares God with fathers and then with mothers. While this book was written more in line with ideal parenting without saying much about those who abuse their children, I’ve been blessed by the idea of God as my perfect parent.

Today’s reading speaks of how a mother is always ready to feed her hungry child. Many mothers would (and have) starved themselves before they would allow their children to starve. My mother was never pressed to that decision, yet her heart came out at mealtimes. She wouldn’t sit down until she was certain everyone had what they needed.

The author of God is Enough points out that wise mothers do not always give their children the food they ask for, knowing that some foods are not good for children and too much of them could be fatal. Instead, these mothers give their children the most nutritious food they can find. It goes on to say that God, who made mothers who care this much, is the same—He gives us what is best, often when we have not even asked, and not always what we ask for.

Jesus said it this way, “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:11–13).

Although Jesus uses the term ‘father’ this applies also to mothers. The point is, God knows how to give me exactly what I need. My reading says that sometimes what He gives may appear to me like a “serpent” or a “scorpion,” but because God is the giver and He knows me and my needs better than I know myself, I can be sure everything that comes my way is the best thing for me.

When I was a very new Christian, He impressed this truth on my heart. He knew where my path would take me and that I needed to know that “in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son” (Romans 8:28-29). Had He not taught me this up front, I know I would have resisted or blamed many tough events on Him instead of seeing that He was using them to change me.

The thought that touched me this morning is this: a “child does not have to supply or prepare his own food; that is the mother’s responsibility. All the child has to do is eat and live, without care and without cost.” Paul echos the same idea in Philippians 4:19: “And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Whatever I need, God knows it before I do, but also moves heaven and earth to make sure I am supplied! While these words tend toward thoughts of material needs, my mind goes back to the verses from Luke 11. It says that in giving good gifts God gives the Holy Spirit to those who ask. This is the ultimate gift. With the Spirit of God in my life—and my will yielded to His—I am able to know and trust my heavenly Father to be both father and mother to me. He cares about me and will take care of everything concerning me. As my reading says, He is much truer to the ideal of motherhood than even the best earthly mother can be.

I miss my own mother who died nearly six years ago, but I appreciate this reminder. Even though she is not here, I can rest in God’s infinite care and be thankful for every provision.

No comments: