So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be speaking into the air. There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me. So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church. Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also. Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up. I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue. Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature. In the Law it is written, “By people of strange tongues and by the lips of foreigners will I speak to this people, and even then they will not listen to me, says the Lord.” Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers. If, therefore, the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your minds? But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you. What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. (1 Corinthians 14:9–28)While this passage focuses mostly on one spiritual gift, it points to all of them by explaining the purpose of tongues. Gifts are to be used and clear in building up others. That is, they are for believers. Outsiders will not see them as from God and could even think the exercise of any gift is strange or that we Christians are out of our minds. Yet if they experience any gift that is used properly, they may be drawn to worship God… and that we worship Him is the whole purpose of any gift, including tongues.
Therefore, there are some rules. Do what will accomplish His will. If no one understands my words or actions, it might be that I’ve not paid attention to the guidelines of this passage. Tongues require an interpretation. Even our hymns, lessons, and revelations may need explanations. If no one else understands and can explain what I say (or sing) or if it just confuses others, then keep it to myself. God gave it to me for my edification.
Jesus, You teach me much and at Bible study I sometimes share it and no one gets it, so I’m learning to be quiet and not push it. Other times, one or two in the group speak up and explain what I said in their words and others are edified too. This is the principle of this passage. Paul used tongues as an example, likely because the church at Corinth was having an issue over that gift. Other Christians may struggle with the use of a prophetic statement, or certain music, or some teaching. The principle is the same; You desire edification and peace, and You are not the author of confusion (vs. 33).
No comments:
Post a Comment