So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7–10)It has taken fifty years of being a conceited Christian to being able to recognize and be glad of my weaknesses, to even be accused of being “too humble” which makes me laugh. It seems almost all of my life others have expected me to excel and if I did, praised me. Of course my ego demanded the praise so the pressure to excel interfered with my ability to trust God. If I could do it, why ask for His help?
But then comes that “messenger of Satan” who often uses flattery to distract me from trusting God. The other option is “my way” or just don’t do anything. After many lessons, and re-reading this passage or having it come to mind while I attempted and failed, the purpose and benefit of weaknesses finally sunk in.
This is not just about Christian ministry. It is about everything. I’m making quilts and pray for wisdom, noting when things need another technique, or to not make an error (that seam ripper is not a favorite tool), and for the ability to use color and design wisely. Then the fun of having my bobbin thread not run out when expected, or two pieces to sew together turn out to be the exact right size without trimming them at all, or I have a scrap that fits without cutting off the excess. This might seem silly to a non-sewer, but admitting my needs to God changes efficiency and more.
This confession of not being able has to be real and honest. God does not answer prayer designed to make me look good. He wants a genuine sense of being unable, weak, ignorant. But who likes feeling that way? Who can be content with always saying “duh” instead of patting their own back?
This is one of the “His ways are not our ways” truths even though many Christians fall for the DIY lie rather than see the benefits of being weak so the Lord can shine through. And He does. The lack of skill and confidence become the doorway to the power of Jesus Christ.
So whether the cause of weakness is age-related, forgetfulness, distractions, being overcome by too much to do, bombardment of new responsibilities, or Paul’s list of insults, hardships, persecutions, or calamities, being unable is a friend, not an enemy.
Lord, the best part is that You never let me down to drown in my inability to deal with the challenges of life. You are faithful to grant what I need, always surprising me and often bringing tears of gratitude and certainly words of praise. Truly, You are my hiding place. You always fill my heart with songs of deliverance. Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You, I will trust in You. Let the weak say I am strong, in the strength of the Lord…
No comments:
Post a Comment