September 22, 2021

He is right here, right now

 

 

Whatever I thought about God before vanished from my mind that day when He walked into my life. His presence was real and with it I knew that Jesus Christ was God the Son and was now making God AVAILABLE to me. It was a whole new world!

Available means “able to be used or obtained; at someone's disposal” in the dictionary, but in the Bible it means the Lord is close by to listen, help, aid, advise and to be all that I need. But I don’t use Him; He uses me!

Of course my first need was redemption because the reality of God’s presence and availability is blocked only by unforgiven sin. Romans 3:23–25 says it this way:

“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by his grace, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, whom God made publicly available as the mercy seat through faith in his blood, for a demonstration of his righteousness, because of the passing over of previously committed sins.”

What a wonder. In the OT, being able to approach God was always in connection with sacrifices and priests as the means by which people could draw near to God. The foreigner, who has no part in the sacrifices of Israel, is “far off.” Only when he joins the people of God may he “come near.” God was available in no other way.

Not only that, the ritual was not enough. Isaiah 29:13 makes the distinction of who can experience God and who cannot. The Lord said: “Because this people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men . . .” and went on to describe that their wisdom would perish because they were blind and needed Him to open their eyes. In other words, religious ritual without a faithful and true heart does not make God available.

The NT book of Hebrews explains the difference between that former sacrificial system with OT priests and sacrifices serving as access and the NT good news that Jesus Christ the Messiah is now (and has always been) the one who makes access to God possible. He said Himself, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

Looking at Hebrews, God says about His availability to His people:

Hebrews 4:15–16. “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

Hebrews 7:23–25. “The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.”

Hebrews 10:22. “Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.”

Hebrews 11:6. “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”

God is available to me, to His people, to anyone who believes in Him, not just OT Israel: Acts 28:28 says, “Therefore let it be known to you that this salvation of God has been sent to the Gentiles; they will listen” and Ephesians 2:13 adds, “But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. God is as near as the air that I breathe. Jesus removed the guilt and power of my sin that had been a barricade between. Now I can draw near. Now He is always available, and should I sin, He invites me to remember: “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded” (James 4:8). His presence (“I will never leave you or forsake you”) and keeping my heart open and confessing sin as it happens is His amazing gift to me, a mercy and a grace that keeps His availability a wonderful reality.

 

No comments: