September 9, 2021

Accepted but not acceptable

 

 

So often I think how wonderful that the love of God ACCEPTED me just as I am, yet He loves me too much to leave me that way! In other words, I cannot take for granted that I can do whatever I please and God will accept those activities.

The first example in Scripture is when Adam and Eve when against God’s command to stay away from a certain tree. By doing what they wanted, sin entered the world and has ruled human hearts since then. Sin is not acceptable.

The next instance is when Cain brought his offering, it was not ‘regarded’ by God and God said to him, “If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is contrary to you, but you must rule over it.”

The issue is that those who believe what God says will do what He asks. Cain didn’t. His acceptance was based on ‘I will bring what I want to bring’ not on ‘Yes, Lord, I will bring what You told us to bring.’ At this, God told him that he needed to conquer that sinful attitude.

The OT agrees with the NT that being acceptable to God is about faith followed by action, not so-called good deeds done apart from faith. That is, sin is about doing my thing rather than what God says. James 4:17 says it succinctly: “So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.”  

The OT says many times that offerings must be according to those described by the Lord. His people were never given options to atone for their sin nor could they give anything less than perfect unblemished animals. Even so, it is a marvel that God accepted such offerings and forgave sins; idol worshipers did similar things. However, faith makes the difference. Pagans fear their idols, never knowing if their gods were pleased or accepted those offerings, but the people of God had His Word that their faith to obey was acceptable. If faith was not there and obedience fell short, Malachi 1:13 says:

“But you say, ‘What a weariness this is,’ and you snort at it, says the Lord of hosts. You bring what has been taken by violence or is lame or sick, and this you bring as your offering! Shall I accept that from your hand? says the Lord.

They knew this was true. The psalmists said, “The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord accepts my prayer” and “Accept my freewill offerings of praise, O Lord, and teach me your rules.”

The writer of Proverbs also said, “Fools mock at the guilt offering, but the upright enjoy acceptance” and “The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, but the prayer of the upright is acceptable to him” and “To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.”

The prophets said of disobedience, “Thus says the Lord concerning this people: “They have loved to wander thus; they have not restrained their feet; therefore the Lord does not accept them; now he will remember their iniquity and punish their sins” and “She listens to no voice; she accepts no correction. She does not trust in the Lord; she does not draw near to her God.”

The NT speaks of how to be accepted, first by faith in God (everything apart from faith is sin) and faith is expressed in yielding to Him and being transformed:

Romans 12:1-2. “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”

This transformation shows up in attitude that motivates actions, not simply rules kept:

Romans 14:17–18. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. God accepted Job’s prayer for his ‘friends’ because they had “not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.” Having a right view of God comes from knowing what He says about Himself. I must continue to read and study His Word. Also, God welcomes all who put their faith in Him, weak or strong. I’m not to pass judgment on anyone for what they do because “God has welcomed him” (Romans 14:3). God accepts and blesses a humble and contrite heart that readily confesses sin and selfishness. Keeping my eyes on Him and His glory is important lest I stumble and fall into pride and doing things my way.

 

No comments: