September 8, 2017

Is God in the storms?



When disaster strikes, my first thought is ‘what did I do to deserve this?’ This is dangerously close to the call made by the ‘friends’ of Job only they went too far by applying that same question to this man who lost everything.

My theology about God’s judgment gets tested every time I watch the news. Why are the people of Texas suffering? Why are the citizens on the east coast fleeing for their lives? Is God speaking in these storms? If so, is He using tragedy to get the attention of those who have ignored Him?

Even though I might be able to answer some of those questions for my own life, I’ve absolutely no clue and no direction from God about the lives of those in the path of hurricanes or anyone else for whom tragedy strikes. The only thing I know for certain is that I must pray for them and offer any assistance that I can give.

God can use tragic situations for good. We know a man whose wife was killed when hit by a bus walking across a street. Months later he said that as horrible as this loss was, God used it to restore his relationship with Him. For that, this man was glad. However, it would not have been my place, or even kind, at the time of her death to suppose this was what God was thinking when He allowed that accident.

In the Old Testament, God’s people were told many times that their obedience was connected to their prosperity. In a positive sense, He promised them His goodness for their righteousness. This does not mean they ‘earned’ it, but that God wanted them to realize that obedience is for their good, and usually results in a good life.

“Let me hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly. Surely his salvation is near to those who fear him, that glory may dwell in our land. Steadfast love and faithfulness meet; righteousness and peace kiss each other. Faithfulness springs up from the ground, and righteousness looks down from the sky. Yes, the Lord will give what is good, and our land will yield its increase. Righteousness will go before him and make his footsteps a way.” (Psalm 85:8–13)

I know this is true. God does bless obedience. On the other hand, I’ve had a few occasions of disobedience and God disciplined me with hard circumstances. Yet I’ve not blamed God. Instead, I see that those circumstances were the result of my own doing. God used them to draw me back to Him with consequences tempered by His mercy. Had I got what I deserved, the results of my folly would have been far worse.

In my world view, God is sovereign and keeps His hand on the lives of His people. If anyone decides to go his own way, God will not force obedience, yet He knows that sin is costly. It eventually leads to death, following a path with unhappy outcomes. Sin can look good and feel good at the time, but inevitably will rob us of joy and well-being.

The story of Job (and my own experiences) affirms that not all tragic circumstances are God’s chastening or punishment for sinful waywardness. Some of them happen because we are living in a sinful world. Satan tries to use them to turn people from faith and shake their fist at God. However, God can use them for good.

I’ve concluded that when anyone is in a dire situation, they need to pay attention to their heart and listen to whatever the Lord is telling them. He used a great injustice at Calvary to bring salvation to a sinful world. Yet it was a small piece of fruit that brought sin into the world. Considering those two extremes, I realize that I cannot know or predict what God is doing in any situation, and certainly not with hurricanes named Harvey, Irma and Jose.

^^^^^^^
Jesus, I sense the fear of those caught in the path of those storms. Many people are crying out. Some are angry with God. Some blame the ‘weather gods’ and some are praying earnestly for Your help. You know their hearts. You can deliver them, not only from the storm but from the power of sin which can bring even worse devastation to their lives, a shattering that could last for all eternity. Have mercy, oh God, and in grace, take care of those who belong to You and those who have yet to make that choice.


No comments: