March 6, 2017

The Immense Big Picture



Taking a Masters degree in Bible and theology from a Presbyterian Reform seminary changed my life by changing my perspective. I’m a detail person often caught up in the minutia of life and sometimes cannot see the proverbial forest for the trees (or the color of the leaves). However, almost all of my professors were ‘big-picture’ people. Their way of presenting truth pulled me back from my microscope and took me to NASA’s Hubble, figuratively and literally.

The Hubble telescope images are incredible. For me, they are a worship experience, not to worship creation as beautiful as it is, but to worship the God who created this incredible universe. If this is His handiwork, who and what then is God? I am in awe thinking of the mind and omnipotence that spoke such amazement into existence, and in awe that this same God also created and cares about human beings — we are less than specks in an endless space.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

While we were yet sinners, this immense God sent His Son to die for us. We did not earn that or even desire Him. When He came we despised and rejected Him, nailed Him to a tree and mocked Him as he died. Would we have done that if we could have viewed His handiwork through the Hubble? Could we have seen this God-man walking through the stars toward our tiny world with salvation in His hand?

Perhaps even more startling is that the God who created all also planned the creation and destiny of us miserable human beings before the foundation of the world:

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him . . . .” (Ephesians 1:3–4)

Our names were written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain. (Revelation 13:8)

What God is this who fashioned the stars and never-ending space and also created each person with a plan that destined some to live forever with Him?

“You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment, like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will have no end.” (Hebrews 1:10–12)

This morning I watched two of the many videos available online showing images taken by the Hubble of deep space. I am numb with worship. Truly, the “heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.” (Psalm 19:1) “Yet He is exalted above the heavens” (Hebrews 7:26).

This God, this incredible awesome God, loves me and came to earth to redeem me from sin and bring me into a saving relationship with Himself. Jesus did it and John 3:16 summarizes it, yet when I look at the vast universe, my salvation seems such a tiny detail.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, how amazing that You would do this. I can shout: “Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth!” (Psalm 57:5) But I can also declare my adoption as God’s child, call Him Abba (Daddy) as my Father, and know that I will spend eternity with Him — all because You love me and gave Your life for me.

Note: Links to a couple of these incredible Hubble videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JpgHUO0qLI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DedwtChoW1c#t=66

No comments: