March 23, 2017

From everlasting . . .



Lately I’ve been looking at pictures taken by the Hubble telescope. Besides these being mind-boggling, they convince me that “everlasting” is a reality. If the universe has a perimeter, what lies outside of it? If time has an ending, what comes after it? If God is not eternal, try to fathom a beginning and ending for Him?

Today’s devotional verses and reading are about God’s eternal covenant. These also use the word forever and link them to the life of His servant. While the words say “David” both Jews and Christians know that the passage from the Psalms is dropping big hints about the Messiah, the eternal Savior . . .

“Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.” (Hebrews 13:20–21)

You have said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one; I have sworn to David my servant: ‘I will establish your offspring forever, and build your throne for all generations.’” Selah (Psalm 89:3–4)

Of old you spoke in a vision to your godly one, and said: “I have granted help to one who is mighty; I have exalted one chosen from the people. I have found David, my servant; with my holy oil I have anointed him, so that my hand shall be established with him; my arm also shall strengthen him. The enemy shall not outwit him; the wicked shall not humble him. I will crush his foes before him and strike down those who hate him. My faithfulness and my steadfast love shall be with him, and in my name shall his horn be exalted. I will set his hand on the sea and his right hand on the rivers. He shall cry to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation.’ And I will make him the firstborn, the highest of the kings of the earth. My steadfast love I will keep for him forever, and my covenant will stand firm for him. I will establish his offspring forever and his throne as the days of the heavens. If his children forsake my law and do not walk according to my rules, if they violate my statutes and do not keep my commandments, then I will punish their transgression with the rod and their iniquity with stripes, but I will not remove from him my steadfast love or be false to my faithfulness. I will not violate my covenant or alter the word that went forth from my lips. Once for all I have sworn by my holiness; I will not lie to David. His offspring shall endure forever, his throne as long as the sun before me. Like the moon it shall be established forever, a faithful witness in the skies.” Selah (Psalm 89:19–37)

All of this and more give assurance that God’s covenant and salvation are everlasting; they are based on the everlasting love of God. All this was planned before the world began as God said:

“They shall be my people, and I will be their God. I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them. I will make with them an everlasting covenant, that I will not turn away from doing good to them. And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me.” (Jeremiah 32:38–40)

^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, You did this. Your Spirit changed the course and destination of my life. Instead of spending eternity banished from Your presence, I will be with You forever. I cannot grasp the enormity of You or Your creation, but I can grasp the fact and importance of Your love for me. Such amazing grace. Deepen my understanding of who You are and the greatness of Your everlasting truth.


No comments: