August 4, 2013

Marital Delights


Often the theme of stories and scripts, a king marries a beggar or someone of less noble stature and by virtue of the union she becomes a royal person.

Sometimes marriages happen for convenience. That is, two people unite so one or both of them gain a profit or status of some kind. But marriage is not supposed to be for convenience. It is a sacred thing, a union between two people before God, a picture of a truth that is revealed in no other manner.

This mystery (of marriage) is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. (Ephesians 5:32)

I usually think of this image in terms of how I relate to my husband, since this passage uses this image to help women with that, but today I can see other depictions intended in this mystery.

For instance, I am joined in marriage with Christ, not only assimilated into Him and in the process of being made like Him, but I am one with Him, divinely united to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, given distinction above angels. That means I have a dignity that this ordinary sinner would not otherwise have.

Also, I am married to the crown of heaven, made an heir of all that belongs to my Husband-King. Christ gives me grace, privilege, justification and eventually glorification.

So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s. (1 Corinthians 3:21–23)

This says that by virtue of my union with Jesus Christ, I may “have nothing, but possess everything” (2 Corinthians 6:10). All that He has, which is every good thing, is also mine!

This marriage is a protection. I am His and spiritually one with Him. If anyone tries to harm me, He is there receiving whatever they do. This is shown at the conversion of Saul/Paul who was persecuting Christians. When Jesus confronted him, He said, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” (Acts 9:4). Whatever is done to His bride is done to him. This King will not tolerate his treasure rifled, His crown thrown in the dust, or His queen abused. His bride is the apple of Christ’s eye, and those who strike at his eye will answer for it.

Because these things are true, I desire to be with Him, in His Word, communicating with Him, participating in communion at the Lord’s Supper and looking forward to that eternal communion that will be mine one day. Then I will see Him fact-to-face and enjoy Him forever.


No comments: