July 13, 2013

A no-brainer


Today’s devotional reading begins with a great question: “What has sin ever done for you?”

Sin brought death and sorrow into the world, into my world. It has made me unhappy, fearful, guilty and sleepless. It fills my heart with wrong desires that can never be satisfied. It makes me want to hide from God and from others. It also makes me afraid of facing God even with a prayer of confession and asking forgiveness. The only “good” thing I can think of that comes from sin is mentioned in these verses,

By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. (Hebrews 11:24–26)

Sin brings pleasure, but it is fleeting. Some would say that is not so, for they have lived a lifetime of sin and enjoyed every minute. However, compare a lifetime to eternity; it is fleeting. I am here a short time compared to my reward for refusing sin and choosing Christ. In that choice, I might suffer loss in some ways, but those losses are nothing compared to the eternal gain.

Is this pie in the sky? It would be if it were not for the promises of God of His faithful presence and power. No matter what this life might put me through, walking with Christ means joy and peace.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28–30)

Sin is heavy. It creates burdens I cannot bear, burdens that rob me of energy and dampen my love of life. Worse, sin made necessary the death of Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God. He took the burden of sin, with a weight so heavy that it killed Him.

The good news is that He did this so sinners like me can share His life. In that relationship, He bids me to come to Him. As I lay my burdens at His feet, He shares with me His burden, measured out so I do not experience a yoke that is too heavy for me, and He gives me His peace and a joy that surpasses human comprehension.

Sin gives fleeting pleasure, fun for a moment. Jesus offers eternal life, joy for now and forever. Come, take, learn, and find rest in Him. 


No comments: