December 26, 2012

Boasting


Yesterday our daughter-in-law was called into work. I didn’t complain. I could boast about that. The Christmas meal was delicious. I could boast about that. I won our game of Chicken Foot. I could boast about that. Somehow, on Christmas day particularly, but all other days, even the thought of boasting more and more pinches my conscience. It is not appropriate.

This blog is called “Practical Faith” for a reason. God is teaching me that believing in Jesus Christ is not about “pie in the sky” but about living by faith every day and in every circumstance. He is showing me how truly helpless I am without Him. He wants me to know how eager He is to come alongside to help me, no matter how insignificant the need might seem.

If I’m worried about little things like the possibility of burning the bird, He wants me to pray. If I’m concerned about DIL working in minus 25 C temperatures or driving on icy roads, He wants me to pray about that. Then, when He comes to my aid, He wants me to give credit where credit is due. 

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Galatians 6:14)

This verse is about boasting in my righteousness. Of course, that is nonsense. There is no righteousness apart from that imputed on me by grace through faith.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Ephesians 2:8–9)

Not only that, any wisdom, goodness or godliness in me is there because God sent Jesus to die on the cross that I might be set free. Further, He raised Him from the dead that I might live rightly, even be able to call on Him for wisdom in daily life.

And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption… (1 Corinthians 1:30)

This Christmas, like all others, is about Jesus. The rest of it can be a distraction, but it can also be a celebration of the fact that He came. However, His final destination was never a manger. His destiny was the Cross and then the glory. Compared to what He has done and is doing, I have no reason to boast, none at all!

No comments: