April 22, 2011

Why this Friday is Good

Good Friday is a sad day when I think about my sin that put Jesus on the cross. It is sad when I think about how much He suffered and the pain of bearing the guilt of the world, of every sin ever committed by everyone who ever lived. It is sad also to think that much of the world curses His name, the One who bought their freedom from sin and their opportunity to have eternal life. I’m sad too that many more have never even heard of Jesus.

However, today is “good” Friday, not just because Jesus did made an incredible sacrifice so many years ago, but because of the place He has now and the victory He has won over sin and death.

The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging him on a tree. God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him. (Acts 5:30–32)
Jesus died, but He did not stay dead. Jesus was and is demeaned and cursed here on earth, but God has exalted Him to the highest place. He was rejected by His own, but thousands, even millions of people have accepted, believed and received Him. We know forgiveness of sins and repentance and this is why Friday is good.
********************
Lord, I’m also touched by the last few words in those verses. The early believers saw all of this with their own eyes, but so did the Holy Spirit. And You gave the Holy Spirit to me — so, because He lives in me, I too am a witness to these things. I didn’t see the events with my eyes, but the presence of Your Spirit in my heart affirms the reality of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I know it is true.

Today we go to a church service that remembers the sad things, but that will also remind us of the greatness of what happened at Calvary and beyond. Because of Your great power and love for sinners, today is a good day!


Photo source

No comments: