March 3, 2011

Creation reflects the Creator

The psalmist wrote that the heavens declare the glory of God. I’m amazed at how many things in this earth below do the same. Just as the content and body of an artist reveals much of the one who held the brush, so also do created things reveal the One who spoke them into existence.
And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him. (Matthew 3:16, italics mine)
Consider a dove. Its wings are soft, swift and quiet as God is gentle, able to move suddenly and work quietly. He is in the “still, small voice” that speaks to my heart, and powerful yet unseen like the wind that Jesus pointed to when He described the working of His Spirit. As I imagine the sounds of a dove, I think of the wonderful and gentle way that God moves in my life.

Perhaps the dove was chosen as a symbol of purity after these verses were written, yet its white form suggests purity. The olive branch in its beak speaks of God’s desire to redeem sinners and bring each of us to safety from the flood of judgment, to a place of peace.

Other birds hunt their prey, but a dove is not out to harm, as God wants good for us and does good on our behalf. The bird coos softly as the Spirit speaks softly to soothe.

Other animals and birds display the nature of God. He is even described in their terms. Psalm 91:4 says, “He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge. . . .”

Jesus is called the Lion of Judah, the Rose of Sharon, the Bread of Life, the Good Shepherd, the Lamb of God, the Word. All these things: lions, roses, bread, shepherds, lambs, and words have characteristics that show the nature of God. Even the triune existence of matter (gas, liquid, solid) points to the triune God who created it.

Lord, too often I rush through life without stopping to see You in the world around me, or let that world remind me of all that You are. Help me remember that You are pure like the snow, clear and without evil like the winter air. You are full of promise like the crocus plants on my window sill. And like the sunshine, You warm me and fill me with joy.

Thank You.

No comments: