February 24, 2011

High price of distractions

My ADD tendencies cause me to be easily distracted. If this were not nuisance enough, the same ADD problems also mean that I can focus on a project with such concentration that I forget to eat and sleep. Much of my daily energy is spent trying to focus on the right tasks and at the same time stay open to God’s direction to stop one thing and do something else.

Today I had some problems with praying even though I’ve learned to walk and speak aloud to avoid getting sidetracked. However, working on next week’s Bible study material was almost impossible. I kept thinking of things to do, jumping up to do something left undone, and dashing off to mindlessly surf the Internet a couple of times.

Interesting that Spurgeon should select this passage of Scripture for this day. It describes me, but I thought I was more like Mary . . . 

Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38–42)
Writing a Bible study or any service to Jesus is not wrong. Martha’s serving was not wrong either. Followers of Jesus Christ are called to serve Him. Even Martha’s “much serving” was okay. She had the honor of making a meal for Jesus and His disciples. This was a good thing and doing it with all her might was also a good thing. More Christians should be like that.

However, Jesus scolded her. If the passage is read too quickly, it looks like He scolded her for serving, but not so. He said she was “anxious and troubled” about her service, and that was her problem. She became distracted by the task and neglected the One she served. As Spurgeon says, she “allowed service to override communion” and by that, she ruined her service with anxiety and a trouble heart.

Mary sat at Jesus feet and listened to Him. He commended her for doing so and said that it was the “good” choice that would not be taken away. That is, sitting with Him is never a bad thing and whatever she got from it became a permanent part of her life.

I never met these two women, but if they were like I am, both needed to sit with Him. Mary knew it and I know too. I cannot do anything without His grace and strength, or at least not do it well. I need time with my Master. Martha took the other option, and it spoiled her service.

Spurgeon says it is easier to serve than to commune with God. I agree. Spending time with Jesus requires all of my concentration. Focus is a challenge. As Spurgeon also says, the more spiritual the exercise, the sooner we tire in it. I’d add that the more intimacy I need with God, the more frequently I am distracted and anxious. Prayer is the hardest work.

Writing a Bible study is hard work also, but if I don’t spend time in prayer before and during, I might be putting down words, but they will be unpalatable and unfruitful. Unless I abide in the Vine, whatever I do is fruitless.

This is not just the writing task, but my other chores. Everything on my to-do list needs grace and prayer. This is the “good portion” I must choose. Whether I am writing or leading a study, or making the bed, or washing cups, I first need that living, personal fellowship with Jesus.

Sitting at the Savior’s feet is neglected at my peril. My soul needs this to be healthy, to glorify Him, and to be useful to Him. Martha neglected it and was out of sorts, even blamed Jesus because He “didn’t care” that Mary left her to do the work all by herself. Whether I am distracted from Jesus by my work or by other stuff, I tend to be crabby, resentful and complaining. People get the brunt, but I am really upset with God and start telling Him what to do. 

On the other hand, spending time with Jesus before and during my work changes my attitude. As Jesus said to Mary, this is a good choice and it will not be taken from me. Yet Jesus was gracious to Martha and spoke gently. He does the same when distractions make a Martha out of me. As I bring the ugly results to Him. He reminds me that I’ve strayed. As I confess my sin to Him, He does take it from me — then directs me back to choosing the good portion that will stay with me forever!

No comments: