February 3, 2011

Eternal plan of God

Twice since the first of the year I have clicked on the daily devotional reading (I use it from Logos 4 on my computer) and it took me to the wrong day. Nevertheless, both times this happened the reading was perfect for my situation that day. Since Logos is highly accurate, and since I can still read dates and press the right keys, I must conclude that God directs me, even using modern technology!

I read today’s reading yesterday, so today I’m reading the one for yesterday. It seems appropriate once again for today is my birthday and that skipped reading is about “ancient” things! 

The sons of Shelah the son of Judah: Er the father of Lecah, Laadah the father of Mareshah, and the clans of the house of linen workers at Beth-ashbea; and Jokim, and the men of Cozeba, and Joash, and Saraph, who ruled in Moab and returned to Lehem (now the records are ancient). (1 Chronicles 4:21–22)
The names here may have significance, but what I appreciate about Spurgeon is that even this portion of Scripture reminds him of eternal truths about Jesus Christ. I cannot write as he writes, but I love what he says about things more ancient than the records spoken of in these verses, eternal truths from You that delight the hearts of Your people.

Spurgeon first mentions the sovereign choice You made to elect Your people to eternal life. This was done before the earth was created, and is of such “vast antiquity” that no date can be conceived for it in our human minds. Your Word says that we “were chosen from before the foundations of the world” (Ephesians 1:4). That is a long time ago!

The next one is about Your everlasting love. “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you” (Jeremiah 31:3). This truth teams up with the first one. It was not a “bare act of divine will” by which You set us apart. Your incredible and unconditional love was there, even before You made the world and all that is in it, even before You created me.

Your eternal purpose was to redeem others and me from the ruin that You knew would happen. This plan joined with your immutable love and absolute sovereignty. My salvation was in Your heart from infinite antiquity.

In Scripture, Your covenant is always described as everlasting. Jesus, who is involved in all of it, had His “goings forth of old” (John 17:24, 1 Peter 1:20). He too is everlasting, Together, You worked out this plan before the stars began to shine and this ancient covenant remains forever as the foundation of my salvation.

Today I eavesdropped on an online conversation. The participants were trying to fathom eternity. One contributor said that we are so stuck in time and so used to clocks that we cannot conceive or understand the idea of past, present and future being one big NOW. But this is how it is for You. My mortal mind cannot think in those terms, yet I know this is a reality. Eternity is not just about my future, but includes what we mortals call antiquity, as well as what we call today.

For You, there is no time, yet You stepped into it and experienced it for us. Emmanuel, the God who became a man, bound in time and space to fulfill the plan and the promise You made with Yourself before time and space existed. I am in awe and bow my head to adore You.

No comments: