April 21, 2010

To Live is Christ — abandoning self glory

Yesterday was a good day. The Holy Spirit used the words from these verses to keep me from saying and doing things dictated by my “look at me” nature.
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. (Matthew 7:12, NIV)
When I read them again this morning, these two questions from the devotional guide jumped out at me: What do you do to others that you hope will never be done to you? And, What is the difference between doing no harm and doing good?

To answer that first question, I sometimes treat others as if their ideas and opinions do not matter. If someone does that to me, I feel small and without value. Lesson for today: confess and repent of being proud and thoughtless. Be more considerate and interested in what others have to say.

The Lord is not letting me stop here. He pokes me with that second question about the difference between doing no harm and doing good. I’ve heard people say that they are okay with God because “I am a good person; I don’t do anyone any harm.”

I know that is not the right answer since no one is good. We all sin and fall short. Even the good that we do falls short. However, the Holy Spirit is asking me this question today. I could sit in my studio all day and never bother anyone. That is “doing no harm.” I could be quiet in a conversation. Saying nothing could be “doing no harm.” Or I could get out there and visit a senior, help a friend with unpacking boxes, call someone with some encouraging words, or even stay home and write a letter to someone who needs a little TLC. All these could be “doing good.”

Doing no harm is not always a positive thing. I could reveal apathy or an avoidance of responsibility. Doing good can help people and glorify God, but it can be something else too. Before opening my devotional guide, I’d also read these two verses:

They feared the Lord, yet served their own gods—according to the rituals of the nations from among whom they were carried away. (2 Kings 17:33) and . . .
So these nations feared the Lord, yet served their carved images; also their children and their children’s children have continued doing as their fathers did, even to this day. (2 Kings 17:41)
The Israelites were guilty of an odd syncretistic worship where they feared God yet served their idols. In their case, the idols were carved images. Modern idols are more like ideals rather than carvings, or pride things like money, power, prestige, possessions, and accomplishments. In serving God, even with a proper awe and respect of who He is and what He does, I can also serve my idols.

I’m thinking how I easily I fall into a “look at me, I am doing good” mind-set too. Sin is so subtle. It permeates human nature and tries to ruin everything. Even something done in obedience to the commands of God with a healthy fear of the Lord can deteriorate into boasting about what I did and serving my own god — me.

Behind pride and thoughtlessness lies a deeper problem. To live is Christ goes beyond avoiding evil and beyond doing good. He instructs me to take all pride and self-glory to the cross. These attitudes have no place in fearing and serving God nor do they belong in obedience to the Golden Rule. 


Clipart source

No comments: