October 21, 2006

It is not getting easier!

During Old Testament life, the original place of worship was a small tent. It didn’t look like much on the outside, but God’s glory filled it. When His people came to this tent, they behaved differently than they did in their own dwellings. This was special; God was there.

In the New Testament, Christians are told, “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body” (1 Corinthians 6).

I am a dwelling place for God. I can’t wrap my mind around that. If I think about it long enough the responsibility is almost terrifying. What is my life supposed to look like because of this? I understand the preceding verses that say to avoid sexual immorality; which is totally inappropriate for someone in whom God lives. However, I read the entire chapter and was struck by the first part of it. It says:

“If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints? Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!” (Note, in the New Testament, “saints” refers to all believers, not just special ones.)

Of course this God who lives in me gives me love, peace, joy and other qualities of His Spirit, but I never thought about judging being another manifestation of God being in my life. Jesus told us not to judge (Matthew 7) in the sense of don’t point fingers to condemn when you yourselves are guilty of the same things, but He also said, “Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment” (John 7:24).

There is a difference between the judging that is condemned and the judging that is commanded. One is fleshy, selfish, the putting down of others to make me look good or to satisfy my own critical spirit. The other is discerning, concerned about right and wrong, and determined to glorify God by condemning sin. The first comes from my sinful nature; the second from God who lives in me.

Sometimes I am sure something is not right, but refuse to pass judgment for fear that it may make me unpopular. That isn’t a good reason. God says one day I will be responsible to judge not only the world but the angels. He expects me to learn how to judge righteously, regardless of reactions. I find this difficult.

Earlier this week someone told me that living the Christian life should get easier as one gets older. I disagree. The older I get, the more conflict I see between flesh and Spirit. Today’s thoughts are serious, and totally scary. Even if I get the right judgment going on in my mind, there is still the challenge of speaking the truth in love, knowing the right timing, and also discerning if being quiet might be the best option after all.

No comments: