September 26, 2006

"Apart from me, you can do nothing..."

I once had the notion that the ‘spiritual’ people in the church did the preaching, teaching, and disciple-making jobs, and everyone else became dishwashers, ushers, and parking lot attendants. I thought that the Holy Spirit’s role was in matters of the heart, not physical service which, in my mind, anyone could do.

Then I read Acts 6: “Now in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists (Greek believers), because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution. Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, ‘It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables. Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business; but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word.’”

Today I’m reminded again that the men who were in charge of distributing food to widows needed to be filled with the Spirit just as much as the men who led the entire church. The reason? For one thing, the Holy Spirit produces His fruit in us; "joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control."

Imagine the problems created if people who took care of Christian widows, or any other needy group, were grouchy, fighting among themselves, impatient, rude, harsh, forgot to do their job now and then, and always wanted things their own way? This behavior would certainly raise more complaints than simply being neglected.

A Spirit-filled person is a delight to be around. Last week’s writers conference brings to mind at least two. One was an elderly gentleman who traveled a long distance. He used a walker to help him get around, but he did not complain. His smiling face, laughing eyes, and joyful attitude lifted my spirit every time I saw him.

The other was our worship leader. Her face reflected the same peace and joy. Her music and sense of being in the presence of God lifted our hearts. The Spirit in her spoke to the Spirit in us and truly led us to worship.

Were there some who were not ‘filled with the Spirit”? Perhaps. I know I wasn’t on Friday evening, and even though I hadn’t any job to do, I know I was not blessing anyone, even though I tried to be pleasant. His qualities cannot be faked or substituted with human effort.

Every morning I come to God and ask Him to give me what I need for the day. Of course I don’t know what that will be, but I’m learning that whatever it is, if I’m filled with His Holy Spirit, that is sufficient.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I felt that way about that elderly gentleman as well. What a delightful man.

And fwiw, your "mood" didn't show on Friday, and thank you so much for waiting out the FAX fiasco for me.

Anonymous said...

ps your Karen Hancock link has too many http 's in it ...

Anonymous said...

Elsie-

I hope, if I reach the age of "elderly", I am the type of person people look forward to seeing!

You are a blessing!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hi to 'accidental poet' (to whom I say, You ARE NO ACCIDENT) and Lisa: you both are such encouragers!

If my "mood" didn't show, then praise God for His covering power! And I fixed the Karen Hancock link - and must soon add a couple more...

Lisa, my goal in life is to be a "sweet little old lady" but when I told that to my granddaughter yesterday, she said, "You are not the sweet little old lady type." I was afraid to ask her what she meant!! It's still a good goal though, don't you think!

elsie