January 24, 2006

How do I live when no one is looking?

Back to Charnock's discussion on "practical atheism." He says for some, the outward appearance of being religious is the only thing they desire about religion. It looks good, earns them 'points' in society. They have no regard for the will and rule of God.
Others will believe whatever a religious man or a preacher says because they esteem the man not the Scripture from which he quotes. They have no regard for the will of God, and make man the rule, not Him. He says such people will even accept that which is contrary to the will of God as well as what is true, simply because they are more respectful of the channel than they are of the fountain.
While Charnock focuses on unregenerate men, this can be true of believers also. Our old sinful nature resists God. We hear His rule and resist. Our hearts are prone to wander. And who has not done that which impresses others because we respect them, and our motive is not for God at all?
Someone once said that true manners are what you do when no one is looking. I think it is the same about spirituality. When I worship, do I express fervor because others around me will notice? Do I honor Him because they expect me to? Accountability is one thing, and a good thing, but when I want to look good and pretend to be good, I'm avoiding true accountability. If I fake it and my heart is not in it, I'm just a hypocrite.

No comments: