April 20, 2018

Released from Ignorance


The self-help, self-image gurus say that no one should downgrade themselves by negative self-talk, such as, “Are you ever stupid” or “What a dummy you are.” In their philosophy, it is important to think well of myself if I want to have self-esteem.

I’ve done it that negative thing for years. When I goof up, I usually echo, “Stupid” or some other word or words to indicate that I just displayed my ignorance. But there is good news; this morning I realized the advice of the ‘self-image’ pushers is not biblical. Recognizing my ignorance is important!

“As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy.’” (1 Peter 1:14–16)

This week I had a dream about a problem that has plagued me for years. When I woke up, God impressed on my mind that this major struggle in my life was due to my ignorance. When He told me what I needed to know, It was a tearful revelation with sorrow for being so ‘stupid’ — along with tears of joy because I knew the battle was over.

Being ignorant about the motivations and behind sin is not smart. Once I know what drives me to think and do sinful ideas and actions, the victory over them becomes a sure thing. A favorite verse explains the best way to discover these motivations:

“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12)

The Bible is like a probing light into the dark places, the deepest thoughts and intentions that most people either do not want to admit, or do not realize their existence. The more I study the Word of God, the more I know about myself. Only pride would have me think that all those discoveries are going to be pretty.

“For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.” (Romans 12:3)

Thinking too highly of myself will make me blind to what is true, not just to the sinful stuff but also to any godly blessings and skills. Instead of being content with who I am, this blindness keeps me dissatisfied and always wanting something else.

Introspection can be a selfish occupation too, but if the Bible is doing the inspection, it is mentally and psychologically healthy. The Lord had a way of exposing sin and building righteousness at the same time. As I’ve said many times, He is the only one who can kick my butt and hug me all in one action! He did it this week and He keeps doing it as His Word gives what Tozer calls, “a forceful exhortation to holiness of life.”

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You repeatedly show me that Your focus for my life is not happiness but holiness. You are more concerned with the state of my heart than the state of my feelings. Yet as You work on my heart, You give me the joy of being released from sin, darkness, selfishness and all sorts of fears and negative thinking. I am so thankful and so glad that You are my Lord and Savior, and that You use that wonderful, leather-bound book to set me free from both rebellion and ignorance.

No comments: