April 25, 2018

Holy is not about worn out socks!


Most times the word “holy” is used, it is negative — as an expletive or an accusation against someone who is ‘holier than thou’ with pride in their goodness. However, in the Bible holiness is never presented as a negative quality or prideful piety. It describes God as perfectly holy or kind, merciful, pure and blameless in an intense and most extreme way.

God’s people are also described as holy because He regenerates us with the indwelling presence of Christ. When that happens, our lives begin to change, never to the same degree as God, but with God living in me, I cannot help but be different. The goal is purity of life, being like the Lord.

“See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.” (1 John 3:1–3)

The Old Testament presents a description of eternal life in a renewed earth. Like God’s people, the land will be changed, and we will be walking in holiness:

"The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad; the desert shall rejoice and blossom like the crocus . . . Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf unstopped; then shall the lame man leap like a deer, and the tongue of the mute sing for joy. For waters break forth in the wilderness, and streams in the desert . . . And a highway shall be there, and it shall be called the Way of Holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it. It shall belong to those who walk on the way; even if they are fools, they shall not go astray. No lion shall be there, nor shall any ravenous beast come up on it; they shall not be found there, but the redeemed shall walk there. And the ransomed of the Lord shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away." (Isaiah 35:1; 5-6; 8–10)

Tozer writes that holiness is moral wholeness, yet Isaiah indicates that it is more than that. Those who have this wholeness are also healed from physical shortcomings, kept in God’s will, and joyful about the wonderful way in which they can now live. No one will say that God is a kill-joy because we will experience a joy that removes all sorrow and all expressions of sorrow!

How can a person be holy? In myself it is impossible. In Christ, it is first bestowed and then, because of His grace and the power of His Spirit, I can begin to live as one of God’s holy people, purifying myself because of my hope. I know that God promises eternity with Him. I know that only holy people will share in that promise. Because of that hope, I can cooperate with Him as He works to purify my life.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, most of the time I see myself as having a long way to go. I know that You tell me to purify myself and that You are at work to make that happen. I also know that You will finish what You started in me, despite how unworthy I am. Yet I tend to focus on the negative. Help me to remember all the encouragement in Your Word and the many words of blessing others have given me — about who I am because of You, holy and beloved, Your child and being changed into Your likeness.

No comments: