February 16, 2018

Sin does not always make the news . . .



In my read-through-the-Bible plan, many chapters in Leviticus are filled with instruction about uncleanness. Today’s reading is related to diet, or dead things, or skin diseases, or bodily discharges. “Unclean” seems a strong term for a person in some of these situations, but I understand it — these are types of sinful activities pointing to conditions outside of perfection. Because we tend to rate sin, our human eyes see some as obvious and others not so much and even not as important or dangerous.

For instance, a troubled young man buys an assault rifle and scads of ammunition then goes to his former high school and murders seventeen people. We are appalled at this outrageous act. No matter his background troubles, he planned this ahead of time, knew what he was doing, and admitted his actions. Even people who generally disregard the will of God realize he broke Exodus 20:13, the 6th commandment: “Thou shall not murder.”

However, yesterday, I was talking with a friend and said something unkind about another person. While this is a common behavior for many people, it too is a sin in the eyes of God.

Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. (James 4:11)

My disobedience didn’t destroy any lives but may have soiled a reputation. In the eyes of God, sin is sin. I am on one side of the line or the other. When I sin, there is only one solution . . .

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

Because I am a child of God, I can rely on this promise, yet there still could be consequences. The listener may drop me off her friend-list, and the one I was speaking about could suffer in some way. Sin has ramifications, small and large.
The young man with the gun will face much greater consequences. Even if Christ has mercy and redeems him, even if he has great remorse for what he has done, even if by grace God forgives him, he will still face the courts of law. Depending on the verdict, he will be punished and even could lose his life for his sin.

Today’s verse is such a reality. Despite my many faults and failures, God has blessed my life and given me a determination to keep on following Jesus. I know this verse is true:

Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in his ways! You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you. (Psalm 128:1–2)

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, sometimes I obey You because I want that promise of a good life. Sometimes obedience is a spontaneous response to the reality that Your will is good, not only for me but for others. However, there are times when You tell me to obey and I don’t feel like it, or don’t want to, but do it anyway because I love and trust You. Forgive me for bad-mouthing yesterday, just as You have forgiven all those sins I’ve committed when I foolishly thought I know better, or when my desires overrode Your will. Your grace is greater than all our sin, including those ‘little’ things that people do not notice and those ‘big’ ones that make headline news.

No comments: